Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: "Keydanced" - An Analysis  (Read 3659 times)

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
Re: "Keydanced" - An Analysis
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 04:28:48 pm »

I wonder what gives me such a great FPS if Dwarf Fortress is not multi core.

I have had forts with 250+ dwarfs and it was still perfectly fine?

Anyway, has anyone been curious as to what the small room is just left of the well?
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 08:20:34 pm »

Anyway, has anyone been curious as to what the small room is just left of the well?

Looked like a garbage dump to me.  Good for body parts, if you're in an evil biome.  But I'm sure you'll let us know.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 08:35:47 pm »

Well it was a bin with a pressure pad so when they went to dump they stand on it. the dumped stuff falls into the refuse stockpile. but it does not work.
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 08:55:15 pm »

Are we looking at the same thing?  I don't see a pressure plate, just a 2x1 room with a hatch.

You don't need a pressure plate to get the hatch to open.  Dwarves should automatically throw stuff down the hole, so long as the garbage dump includes a tile adjacent to the hole.  Even if the hole has a hatch cover on it.

EDIT: I was mistaken; they won't dump down the hatch, but will instead set the object on the hatch.  The problem with your design is that they're attempting to move onto the hatch in order to dump the trash, and then getting interrupted.  The simplest way to do what you want is to lower the hatch 1 z-level, and use the pressure plate (make sure citizens trigger!).  That way, they'll know to dump the trash rather than set it down, and the hatch will instantly open, dropping whatever was on it, then close 100 ticks later, sealing in the zombies and miasma.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:30:42 pm by Nil Eyeglazed »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 09:31:53 pm »

Ok thanks, yeah there is not a pressure pad in that one i just ment there was one their and was removed from failure to serve its purpose.
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 10:46:14 pm »

When I first saw that I thought it's what it might be, but then I thought, "no, because if it was an undump, it would have two more tiles dug out--one in front of and one behind the trapdoor."

So that's why it doesn't work. There's no stockpile space before and after, just the space where the pressure plate was and the trapdoor.

Apparently you have to use a different design in .34 anyway.
Pages: 1 2 [3]