Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World gen crash?  (Read 698 times)

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World gen crash?
« on: February 29, 2012, 11:49:41 pm »

It crashes anytime I go over 250, and while sure I can play under that it still very... sad, I want my long history!

Anyideas why? reinstall did nothing, only have iornhand mod, and latest update.
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World gen crash?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 01:19:09 pm »

Is this from a custom adv setting or the premade ones?
Have you tried choosing different configurations?

xaldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 01:54:25 pm »

It crashes anytime I go over 250, and while sure I can play under that it still very... sad, I want my long history!

Anyideas why? reinstall did nothing, only have iornhand mod, and latest update.

I've had high rates of failures on some of my advanced world gens with similar characteristic. Most of them I can get eventually to generate but it goes through a lot of crash/retry. I finally gave up trying to isolate which features it was. Always crashed at random time in the history generator or when it went to write the sites out. Normally though history generation and then normally it'd crash early not late. Very time consuming and annoying to generate. Worked better and more reliably the smaller the world size though, for instance I got fewer crashes on a pocket sized with long history than the large I typically do.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 02:23:47 pm »

The new generator seems to use lots of ram. If you have more than 2  gb of ram, you can try to make it large adress aware.

Probably another problem though as memory related problems mostly occur after 750-1050 years of genning

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 02:47:12 pm »

Is this from a custom adv setting or the premade ones?
Have you tried choosing different configurations?
Its set to random. Yes, everything on max besides history works just fine, its only with history, anything pass 250 crashes
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

xaldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 06:00:04 pm »

The new generator seems to use lots of ram. If you have more than 2  gb of ram, you can try to make it large adress aware.

Probably another problem though as memory related problems mostly occur after 750-1050 years of genning

Dunno bout the OP but for me that isn't the issue. First the process stays under 2G (if it is going to crash it does so before the 1G point, by time it is writing sites its topped the memory usage it'll use) second I've tried with the large address patch as well and get identical results. It was working fine with no issues with 34.02, it was the .03/04 series that this suddenly went to pot.