Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Things to do in Dwarf Fortress When You're Dead  (Read 2586 times)

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
Things to do in Dwarf Fortress When You're Dead
« on: March 01, 2012, 02:24:02 am »

After clearing out my corpse-filled moat that was crashing the game whenever a necromancer reanimated the writhing mass of flesh and bone, I've been sort of amused by all the lonely necromancers who try to sneak into my fortress in search of bodies. It is the Age of Dwarves (no goblins or humans) and I have an uneasy peace with the elves, so corpses are in short supply. The Tower is pretty much the only real enemy apart from the walled-up HFS. What to do? Wage war on the elves to give the necromancers a second shot at glory? It's been nigh on 5 years without a single non-work-related death.

I also have a caged Serpent Man necromancer...
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things to do in Dwarf Fortress When You're Dead
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 03:49:12 am »

Make the elves angry, kill a bunch of them, then seal your dwarves off. Release the serpent man necromancer into the outside world to raise all the corpses. Every time the elves attack, watch them be killed by the ever-swelling army of their former comrades.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 03:54:34 am »

Make the elves angry, kill a bunch of them, then seal your dwarves off. Release the serpent man necromancer into the outside world to raise all the corpses. Every time the elves attack, watch them be killed by the ever-swelling army of their former comrades.

Same thing, but find a way to let the humans in safely.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 04:21:42 am »

Same thing, but find a way to let the humans in safely.
there are no humans in his world. no goblins either.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 05:15:05 am »

Use suspension devices aka cage traps to persuade necros into a alliance against clowns and use stationary machines of utter destruction aka steel serrated disk traps to recruit elves into your glorious army.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 10:04:04 am »

Project elf-pocalypse is a go. I figure I'll give them a chance to mount an attack, just to get critical mass on the bodies before unleashing the necromancer.

Also: I had the very first batch of adamantine wafers of the fort made and a spare blacksmith went for them in a mood. Artifact adamantine throne. Erithumril, The Laborious Pine. With an image of itself in adamantine. My baron will like this. Especially considering that three of his children fell to obtain the metals...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:06:27 am by FoiledFencer »
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 11:05:13 am »

Probably it would be wise to put necromancers back into anabiosis shortly after attack is initiated, otherwise your allies may become not so vulnerable to a treacherous attempt to wipe them out after the victory.

On the other hand, you may present them a newly conquered territory and floor over the breach used for invasion, and to assume the honor of the victory among the living.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 11:37:19 am »

Hmm, yes... some form of recapture maybe. Or a "pen" of fortifications from which he can reanimate nearby corpses and easily retrieved. Necromancers do not have to actually be in contact with the target, right?

(Also - tantrum spiral... not looking all that well)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 02:13:36 pm »

Hmm, yes... some form of recapture maybe. Or a "pen" of fortifications from which he can reanimate nearby corpses and easily retrieved. Necromancers do not have to actually be in contact with the target, right?

If it's in their line of sight, expect many gestures and wriggling limbs.

Jessoftherocks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grounds all green and mushy, in dungeons o Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 05:30:33 pm »

Jessoftherocks admired a fine Warren Zevon reference today!
You obviously found a new species of smart kobold.
Way to go, you killed the only smart kobold's to have existed.
See? Not everyone avoids you!