Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: df2ttf - Automatic TTF generator  (Read 13551 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Re: df2ttf - Automatic TTF generator
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 03:32:27 pm »

I'm posting this because df2ttf conversions of 10x10 or smaller do not work right in putty.  I was just listing examples of what I did to get it to look ok.  The font size 12 matches what I had to set to get elvangs 10x10 converted fonts to look the same size.  I did not intend it as a slight, just posting the results that made ur ttfs work in putty.  So far the only way I can create a custom ttf for putty to play on a dfterm2 server is to use your df2ttf (I understand ur df2ttf works fine for non putty games, but I'm using it for putty).  And I want to use 10x10.  I have to do the above steps to get it to display properly, otherwise the font is too big.  I hope that explains my reasoning for the posts.  It also serves as a reference for anyone else that uses df2ttf on small fonts for use w putty.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 04:12:07 pm by thistleknot »

keenerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2012, 04:21:41 pm »

Thistleknot, I made some progress on your problem.  In a nutshell, it is Putty's fault.  Putty offers horrible configuration for fonts.  You can not set by pixel size.  Instead Putty uses points.  An 8 px font equals about 5.6 pt on my screen.  The conversion is a small hassle, no big deal.

But you can't set Putty to 5.6 because it only accepts integers.  So you are left with something too large or too small and either look horrible.  This is less of a problem with 12x12 and 16x16 because being off by one is a proportionally smaller error.

Only solution I can see is to not use Putty.  Two options that claim to have better font configuration are Console and Ponderosa.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2012, 04:39:46 pm »

Hmm... I will check those console's out, thanks.  I was wondering if putty was non ttf friendly.

I did notice that your font sizes convert larger than elvang's default conversions.  Take a 10x10 Tocky done by Elvang and compare it to what df2ttf does.

Did you discover if anything needed to be changed with

But it would be nice if my fonts "knew" the correct size and limited themselves to it.  Before I was setting SetWidth and SetVWidth but I guess those aren't the best things to use.  Maybe SetFontHasVerticalMetrics, maybe AddSizeFeature.  There are many many options to play with later.

Thank you for the clarification.  I tend to like putty, but now that I know it's limitations, I might seek other ones.  For the time being I have my custom font working at size 12 for putty using your script and some fontforge magic (although I can't resize it, so maybe I'll check out a new tty client).

I think Elvang must have used different scaling (I noticed in fontforge Elvang's scale of #'s were in the 100's, whereas yours were above 1000 (I'm referencing the numbers on the sides in the ruler).  In your script, I noticed a reference to 1000.

Update:  Actually, your's is set to 1000 scale, and elvang's go up to 2500.  Possibly why scaling works better with Elvang's?

I wish I knew python...

Update:
Can't figure out how to connect using console2, it appears to be a command prompt terminal.

Poderosa doesn't allow me to choose fonts that I installed that were created with df2ttf, I was able to get it to connect to DFTerm2 server, but the alt keys are mapped (such as Alt + 3 opens the file menu), which is an issue since Alt+3 is used to select the menu in DFTerm2, although I could probably remap the keys in DFTerm2's config file.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 09:43:34 pm by thistleknot »
Pages: 1 2 [3]