Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Food left around to rot...  (Read 1220 times)

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Food left around to rot...
« on: February 29, 2012, 02:08:03 am »

I am noticing my military leaving food everywhere and having it rot.  Nobody will claim it or attempt to dump it either.  Any idea how I can fix this before my fortress goes to hell?

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food left around to rot...
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 02:10:26 am »

Far as I know pretty long standing bug. Impossible to claim, apparently dfhack has a command to the reclaim all dropped items, according to wiki, but I don't think it's been updated yet.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 02:22:40 am »

You can always go to the DFhack part of the forums and ask those guys or look on the wiki or go to the bug list and see if theres something about that.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 02:57:09 am »

Have you tried building a food stockpile underfoot? I tend to designate my barracks as a Food / Weapons / Armor pile.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 03:32:27 am »

It happens when a dwarf is removed from a squad, or moved to another squad. It will drop it's current backpack and contents, and get a new one, and new food supplies. His old backpack contents are still owned by the dwarf though, and will not be moved to any stockpile.  Hence, it stays were it has been dropped, until it has completely rotten away. You can completely prevent it. Once you have put a dwarf in a squad, do not remove him from it, or move him to another. Also, don't make changes to his carry food orders.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Nyotor Lizardhammers

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 03:33:28 am »

IIRC if you build a floor on it you can get people to move it and then it can get thrown away

At least that's how I remember it from the last time I had the problem
Nyo Ho Ho!

quintilius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 05:42:11 am »

one other thing - if your dorfs are left on station for a long time and they get hungry, they remember - and start hoarding. I had one piling elephant meat into his room at every opportunity because he'd been hungry 3 years prior - i had to designate his room as a food stockpile so it didnt annoy the hell out of his neighbors

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 11:38:04 pm »

Huh interesting.  Guess I'll have to adjust my strategy a bit.  Maybe a way to wash crap out of my barracks from time to time.  Hope this bug gets fixed soon!

One other problem I am having is when a dwarf is killed his items all drop to the tile he was standing on and become forever undumpable/claimable.  Designating a floor under that spot only resulted in them getting moved 1 tile away so the floor could get built.  Any ideas here?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 11:41:49 pm »

...that's odd.

Check your orders regarding bodies? Try to D B C claim it? Go through the Stocks menu and see if it's frobridden?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 02:43:13 pm »

Check your orders regarding bodies? Try to D B C claim it? Go through the Stocks menu and see if it's frobridden?

It's an owned item, this won't work, bug.