Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shells for moody dwarf not recognized? (or am I stupid)  (Read 656 times)

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shells for moody dwarf not recognized? (or am I stupid)
« on: March 01, 2012, 01:44:47 pm »

Hello,
I am playing with limited population, currently on year two with 21 population, including one baby.

The mother of this only baby has been taken by a mood.
Nothing too bad, she asks for "a shell", "bars...metal" and "tree...life".
I have lots of wood (read more than 100), half a dozen metal bars of multiple kinds, so no worry on this.
Having no shell, I mass enable fishing and fish cleaning, and I soon get two mussel shell.

Thinking it is now good, I go dig some more, and an ingame month later, still not having recieved the message saying she started working, I go look at the demands and ingredients taken.
She didn't take anything.

On her thoughts only aluminium is mentionned that could have anything to do with this, but I have no way to produce any, and no caravans before some time.

Furthermore she took a craftsdwarf workshop, so she should start by taking shells or wood too.

Not wanting two casualties on a little population like this, I would like some advices on what to do, if there is anything I missed for example.

Edit:
I have not ask any job to use shells, and I just saw a dwarf come and take the shell out of the refuse pile, and it is not the moody one.
what is happening here with the shells?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:50:38 pm by slay_mithos »
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: Shells for moody dwarf not recognized? (or am I stupid)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 01:55:29 pm »

Are they set to be dumped or forbidden?

My best guess is that you're lacking the right kind of metal, wood, and shell, which is not very helpful. Cut down trees. Try to create any kind of bar you don't have. Hope that your mass fishing will lead to finding the right shells. Buy from a caravan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 01:59:33 pm »

In what order is she asking for the materials? That's the order she'll collect them in.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 02:02:14 pm »

In what order is she asking for the materials? That's the order she'll collect them in.

For my own curiosity, how could you possibly find that out? The text continuously runs in a circular fashion, how to you know if you're seeing the first, middle, or last of the 3?

Also, I thought on the wiki it said shell referred to a turtle shell, maybe I'm misremembering, tho.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 02:04:56 pm »

I was not developed enough to have a metal industry running, and nothing was marked as Forbidden or Dump.

I thought Toady said that moods wouldn't be a suicidal as they were before, but it seems like I misread something.

Anyway, the dwarf died, and I have no idea where my shells went.
o -> r marked the shells as keep, but they disapeared on the way to the refuse pile, quite strange.
But the dwarf decided it took too long and went to the 'starvation' path, so I guess that's two dwarves less, and the husband should not be very pleased either.

For the order, I saw that the requirements are asked starting by the first when you "q" the building, after that it circles, but unselecting and selecting again put the same first. Maybe it's just luck, but so far, it has always been like this for me.
Shell was first.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 02:05:41 pm »

For my own curiosity, how could you possibly find that out? The text continuously runs in a circular fashion, how to you know if you're seeing the first, middle, or last of the 3?

The first one that shows when you look at their workshop is the first one they want

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 02:08:56 pm »

... Ah. Never noticed that. Not that I would expect any less from df, but hey, learn something new every day :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?