Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves don't diagnose patient, patient dies of dehydration (DF2012)  (Read 4862 times)

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile

I believe I'm running 34.02

Anyway, so I seem to be having a number of problems with healthcare right now.

Situation:  I have a hospital zone, furnished with beds, tables, traction benches and chests.   Well stocked with all hospital-related items.  I have a chief medical officer and, although it isn't in his list of requirements, he has his own office as do all nobles.  I have a team of around half a dozen dwarves whose only labours are medical.  No hauling, no cleaning the fortress, just recovering, feeding, cleaning and treating patients.  All dwarves also have recovering and feeding active so if even one is idle, there is always someone who CAN get injured dwarves to a hospital, and always medical dwarves available to work.

1- Injured dwarf lies dying on the spot he was injured.  Loads of dwarves around him, loads idle.  Dwarf does not get recovered, is totally ignored, dies of thirst.
      Can be resolved by putting a 1-tile wide hospital zone under the dwarf, who then gets carried to the larger zone with beds, but this is awkward when you have half a dozen dwarves lying injured from an ambush.

2- Injured dwarf is recovered to a hospital where he is promptly ignored and dies of dehydration.  Dwarf is in a bed, and may or may not have had some treatment up until that point.  Job screen indicates no dwarf is preparing to perform any other medical tests on him, such as diagnosis, despite existence of idle medical dwarves. 
      Can be resolved by removing the bed he is in.  Once dwarf is carried to a new bed, he receives medical treatment and then water and food.

I couldn't find anything for DF2012 about this in the bug tracker, but wanted to make sure I'm not messing up something stupid before I report it.
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves don't diagnose patient, patient dies of dehydration (DF2012)
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:06:39 am »

For the dehydratation, do you use a stream or a brook for water source ?

If yes, there's a very annoying bug regarding the "stagnant" brand that appear at some point in a tile of a water source and that will propagate to slowly but surely take over the whole stream and brook water tile, making all the water "stagnant" in your map.

And dwarves are more than reluctant to drink from anything branded "stagnant", i had lot of dwarves dying of thirst despite the fort was next to a big stream of continous moving water, the problem is that after a while the whole stream was having stagnant tile because of that bug.

Hopefully it will be fixed in future updates, because for now the only way to get sure to have clean water is to build a reservoir and a pump system, the pump apparently can take the water branded as stagnant but deliver in the other side clean water.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 09:10:25 am »

For the dehydratation, do you use a stream or a brook for water source ?

If yes, there's a very annoying bug regarding the "stagnant" brand that appear at some point in a tile of a water source and that will propagate to slowly but surely take over the whole stream and brook water tile, making all the water "stagnant" in your map.

And dwarves are more than reluctant to drink from anything branded "stagnant", i had lot of dwarves dying of thirst despite the fort was next to a big stream of continous moving water, the problem is that after a while the whole stream was having stagnant tile because of that bug.

Hopefully it will be fixed in future updates, because for now the only way to get sure to have clean water is to build a reservoir and a pump system, the pump apparently can take the water branded as stagnant but deliver in the other side clean water.

This is most likely it. As of the current version, pretty much all water is infected with the stagnation bug. For the solution as such, see above.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darchitect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:56:56 am »

I had the same thing happen, and my entire map has stagnant water. I stupidly drained a murky pool into my river. Totally brill.

I also had resorted to designating a hospital under each wounded dwarf. Not a good solution.

Here's how I fixed it:

Built a well over a new reservoir. Even though it's tapped from my now stagnant river, the dwarves are using it without complaint.

Do NOT assign a Chief Medical Dwarf! Once I replaced that position with "leave empty," my doc got straight to work!

Make one dwarf nurse. All labors disabled except "recover wounded" and "feed patients/prisoners."

Hospital has been running beautifully since the measures were taken. Oh, and I did delete the original hospital zone and redesignate it. Also, my well is located in my hospital zone. I always build it that way, so I'm not sure what impact that has.

I believe the CMD position is currently bugged, and prevents any diagnosis from taking place. Post back and let me know if this works for you. I'll add this info to my "Bugs and how to fix them" thread. And I'm using 34.02 right now.

And P.S., try to make sure that any dwarf you assign to healthcare has the "likes helping others" tag.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:59:40 am by Darchitect »

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 10:43:34 am »

Having a Chief Medical Dwarf has always prevented other dwarves from diagnosing (and no dwarf will perform any real medical care until after a diagnosis) - it's intended, they deliberately hold off doing anything until the chief doctor has given his expert opinion. So if we've got a new bug that prevents the CMD from diagnosing either (although he could just not like helping others or something stupid like that) then it's definitely best to leave the position unfilled, so that any dwarf with the labor activated can diagnose.

..In fact, bug or no bug, leaving CMD open can be a good idea in general, if you don't want to be dependent on a particular diagnoser who pretty much can't do anything but diagnose or he holds up the whole process.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:46:23 am by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Darchitect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 10:47:51 am »

Excellent information. I didn't realize how that was intended to work. I'm getting ready to jump back in and see how it goes when I appoint a new CMD.

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 10:53:37 am »

No it's a bug.
I'm getting a dwarf that will dehydrate in my hospital every other month, while the others are being treated just fine.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 11:23:35 am »

I've seen this even with the previous version. Most of the time dwarves are treated quickly and efficiently, but sometimes they just linger forever, even starve to death from being ignored. Its very strange and there doesn't seem to be any pattern as to when a dwarf is treated or ignored.

Removing and then rezoning the hospital, or removing and then rebuilding the bed seems to help. Causes the dwarf to be rescued again and that usually resets things so the dwarf will get taken care of.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 12:39:21 pm »

Same situation--hospital worked just fine for a while, then two dwarves got abandoned where they were hit.  I thought the problem was that the game didn't acknowledge the injuries: the dwarves wouldn't move or help themselves but their jobs were listed as "no job" not "rest".  Is this the old re-injure to cure bug, or a new set of problems?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 01:43:29 pm »

Just a few additional comments...

Having a CMD will allow you to see what is wrong with your dorfs - that's the chief benefit. Best to pick one that has empathy and likes helping, and maybe has a few other doctoring skills. And you have to have diagnosis ON on the CMD for it to work.

Another issue I think I've run into with hospitals is a lack of beds. If they're all full (even with non-sick dwarves?) the "Recover Wounded" job doesn't get generated. If the dwarves sit in the field, they're not resting, so they have "No Job".

: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 03:14:09 pm »

Ooh brilliant, thanks for the tips, guys.  I think I'll still report this as a bug, because it is odd that it applies to some wounded dwarves but not others, but hopefully those workarounds will help for now.
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!