Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!SCIENCE!! project. The Dwarvern sanitization plant.  (Read 1675 times)

Sajuek

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
!!SCIENCE!! project. The Dwarvern sanitization plant.
« on: February 29, 2012, 12:32:37 pm »

I have started on a map with no fresh water, although I have got a nearby sea and I was wondering if it was possible to build a giant Dwarven Desanitization Plant to make the water drinkable? Using diagonal chambers and magma heated floors I was planning on creating something very simple, like this to give my dwarves fresh, drinkable water.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/70/Fractional_distillation_lab_apparatus.svg/300px-Fractional_distillation_lab_apparatus.svg.png

I don't know much about water physics in DF, so here are my questions before I take a few hours setting this up for nothing:

1. Does steam condense back into water when it cools?

2. Does steam follow real life physics? As in, will it rise to the top of the chamber.

3. Assuming both of the above is true, will I get fresh water in my collection chamber, or will it still be salt water?

Thanks!

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
Re: !!SCIENCE!! project. The Dwarvern sanitization plant.
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 12:34:37 pm »

There is no steam in DF>

Just pump salt water through a screw pump into an artificial reservoir that has never touched salt water, and you will have fresh water that you can drink.

Not that you need to drink water, you filthy elf.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 12:38:11 pm »

Salt in DF is determined by location.  If a tile has ever contained salt water, any water in that tile will be salty.  Saltiness also spreads by touch - if two adjacent tiles both contain water, and one is salty, the other will become salty.  Pumps transport water, but don't copy over the salt state when they do.  So you need to make a cistern in an area that has never contained salt water, and then pump water from the ocean into it, making sure that the water in the cistern never comes in contact with ocean water.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sajuek

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 12:39:53 pm »

My wardwarves have very little luck in terms of not getting hit by stray Goblin masters.

A lot less extreme, but I guess it will have to do :)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 12:45:55 pm »

There is no steam in DF>
Sure there is. It's even dangerous like RL.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:50:35 pm »

Pumps contain two pocket dimensions opened by a small electrical current, one at or near the point where water vapour separates into individual atoms, and the other near absolute zero. With water's properties being changed so quickly a great suction is created, driving water in one side and out the other at a rate capable of draining rivers. The byproduct of the transition into steam and back to a liquid is that the water is pure.

The more you know
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 12:53:33 pm »

There is no steam in DF>

THat's not steam, that's deadly dust/magma mist (whatever it's called)
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 12:56:27 pm »

There is no steam in DF>

No there is steam...

Also, desalination plant? :P

Just use screwpumps and pump into a constructed cistern.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 01:03:44 pm »

There is no steam in DF>

Just dump a barrel of water on magma yo :p Lots of steam.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 01:04:33 pm »

No there is steam...

Sort of.  When water hits magma, it creates clouds of short-lived steam.  Unlike in previous versions, this steam is harmless.  It also doesn't condense into water, it just vanishes.

Just use screwpumps and pump into a constructed cistern.

Doesn't have to be constructed, just has to be in a location that has never held water.  Constructing an above-ground cistern is one way to do that, but in-ground cisterns with rough rock walls have been demonstrated to work, so long as you are careful where you place them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.