Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This game hates me  (Read 1367 times)

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This game hates me
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:51:17 pm »

First off I realize that losing is indeed fun (trust me, I've had lots of Fun) so I'm not complaining or anything.  However, this seems to be a special case of malice in terms of timing.

You see, I'm a casual player of DF due to a combination of work and game ADD, and so I'm currently working on my first truly defensible and successful fortress ever after playing for 2-3 years.  My curtain wall keeps Goblin Clause at bay, my cage arrays have netted my butchers with lots of yaks, rhinos and elephants to cut up and lots of goblins for 'live-fire demonstrations' for my soldiers (and one even chained up at the far end of my catapult practice range 6 months running).  I've even avoided massive amounts of Fun both from my first combination of water and screw pumps and my first cave breach ever, and am on the verge of playing with magma from a tube coming up to the first cavern layer.  The only problem I've had has been figuring out what to do with the giant piles of elephant and rhino meat clogging my food stocks before it all rots.  It's been a fun fort so far.

And then this guy shows up (sorry for lack of screenshot):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

According to the wiki fantails aren't implemented, yet here it is from wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantail

TL;DR version:
I'm being attacked by a tiny blue bird with one eye that shoots poisonous webs from its sphincter as it flies over my base.

I'm boned.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This game hates me
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:57:06 pm »

You are using 0.34, yes?  Lots of new beasties for the RNG to pick from now.

Web shooting birdie ... nice.  Too bad as a titan its probably about 30 tonnes, or more, in mass.  On the bright side, it should make for some really nice fried chicken fantail once you manage to kill it off.

... or you could capture it in such a way that it can be unleashed on an unsuspecting Goblin Claus one Christmas. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 09:57:43 pm »

Note the 'enormous'; it isn't a fantail, it is a beast taking the form of a fantail. And IIRC the webshooter tag for megabeasts is still broken.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 10:01:06 pm »

Oh.

So rather than having my poorly trained marksdwarves desperately try to gun it down with a hail of pointy elephant bones while everyone else drops dead, I can just try to lure it down to the ground and hope my militia can cut it up?

Also, I'm still using .31.  I'm gonna run this fort into the ground before I move on to .34 since I JUST figured out the new military.

How hard is it to kill a potentially syndrome-free titan with 27 low-to-mid-skilled military dwarves?

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 10:17:38 pm »

It's not made of gas, fire or steel. It shouldn't have a plague-like poison. No deadly dust...
Seems moderate enough for a titan. Decent military?

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 10:47:38 pm »

Oh.

So rather than having my poorly trained marksdwarves desperately try to gun it down with a hail of pointy elephant bones while everyone else drops dead, I can just try to lure it down to the ground and hope my militia can cut it up?

Also, I'm still using .31.  I'm gonna run this fort into the ground before I move on to .34 since I JUST figured out the new military.

How hard is it to kill a potentially syndrome-free titan with 27 low-to-mid-skilled military dwarves?

The marksdwarves are your best bet. If you're lucky you'll knock it right out of the sky and have it blow to McNuggets when it hits the ground. Hold the melee in the rear. It's organic so they'll be able to hurt it but titans are so huge that it could easily kill an armored dwarf.

Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 11:17:52 pm »

The bastard's dead.  No casualties.

Forgot to mention that the dwarven caravan had showed up a few ticks before the titan did.  An axedwarf and speardwarf guarding the caravan did a 2-on-1 matrix duel in my paddock until my military showed up and proceeded to zerg rush it while it was stuck on the ground.

Now if I could only show my thanks to the captain of my axe squad by mounting the head she conveniently severed over her bed or something...

In other news the fight was a bit anticlimactic, but still... I can now add First Titan Kill to this fort's list of accomplishments.

Next goal: build a sacrificial altar to Armok with a shaft leading to my soon-to-be magma reservoir so I can sacrifice the false god's remains properly.

Thanks for the help guys, i was just gonna abandon or savescum because I thought I was toast.

Also this adds to my fort's kill list of a dragon (first weapon trap removed everything between the ribs and hips), an ettin (the heads were arguing all the way to that same trap), over 120 goblins of vrying stripes and countless herds of wildlife in a 9-year span

EDIT:  The militia commander that lopped its head off got a title that translates to The Quiet Fellowship of Suicide.  Strangely fitting for a woman leading her army in a blind charge against a 30-foot-tall bluebird.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:26:48 pm by MetalHead »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 11:28:00 pm »

Yeah, most threats seem a lot more overwhelming than they actually are. And syndromes are a complete crapshoot, a decent percentage of them won't even be crippling. And again, it varys based on your preparation and how you engage it; even if it doesn't kill something, filling it with hundreds of bolts won't hurt.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

czolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 12:27:56 am »

... filling it with hundreds of bolts won't hurt.

Until stuck-ins get counted as spikes ;)
Sic sum in ignis; sic sum quiritatio

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 12:46:41 am »

And IIRC the webshooter tag for megabeasts is still broken.

Really? It works for the FBs ...

The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 02:40:47 pm »

No deadly dust...

This is a bad thing :(

It cannot be unread. Thanks asp D: