Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Please! HELP!!!  (Read 7389 times)

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Please! HELP!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 10:35:51 am »

Im assuming that if I don't burry the dead, others get "bad thoughts" or whatever, which turns out to be bad later?

Ye-es, it does cause unhappy thoughts, and... other effects. Try leaving some dwarves unburied, you'll see.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:37:38 am by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 12:47:15 pm »

Optimal strategy in your situation is don't fight: seal in in you at all can.  Second optimal strategy is fight on your own terms--10 dwarves piling on a goblin. Third optimal strategy is ambushes are always lead by a superior fighter, this fighter is usually armed differently (e.g. if all have axes but one has a sword, he is the leader), targeting the leader with s-k instead of a move order (s-m) will focus your kamikazes on him/her, and if they get lucky the rest of the squad should scatter for the map edges when the leader dies.

Finally do not engage archers, crossbowmen or lashers on fair terms.  Just don't, not even with veterans--shoot the lashers, lead the archers into blind alleys and fall on them from all sides, drown or incinerate both from the safety of your fort.

Girlinhat recently did a good tutorial of military set-up--check it out, it gives the knitty gritty on making an army dress and train properly http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102911.0
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 01:00:43 pm »

Optimal strategy in your situation is don't fight: seal in in you at all can.

Secret option D: Engage in battle resulting in certain death

ReluctantReaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 01:48:49 pm »

I also am having a bit of a problem. one the hammerer has 50 strikes to give out but he wont go and do them, any tips on how to dish out justice?

Edit: after a goblin siege i now have a few captive goblins whats the most fun i can get from these guys?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:02:57 pm by ReluctantReaper »

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 02:55:53 pm »

If it's only an ambush, those traps and a group of drafted miners (with their picks!) can probably take care of it without much difficulty. Unless there are archers. Goddamn archers.

Only an ambush... My ambushes were 60 goblins at a time from the first year. First siege came around, 15 goblins. I was sorely disappointed :p

By the time I abandoned the fort, I was getting 100 gobbies a year (20k in trade stuff from them, yay). It was a missed ambush unit that got me, killed my Fisher dwarves, initiated a tantrum spiral. Ended with a 8 month old baby crawling over the corpse of her dead mother while my 8 month old was crawling over me. DF can be cruel :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 04:48:13 pm »

From the sounds of it, I set up my base pretty well then.....

This is the first wave, so I'm hoping they'll go easy on me though. IF I manage to build a wall in the right place, I will have access to everything but my barracks (which is 6 beds in a room right now) and trade depot. So if my traps dont do the trick, then I'll wait inside.

I've got a few unused floors, so I can make up a barracks, and if I need to, I can even make a secret tunnel out and ambush them from behind (will that work?)
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 05:07:55 pm »

Those three stone traps are quite a nice touch.
Who the hell has no stone!?
Wait till you meet the Aquifer. (That's going to be a boss fight)

I'm offended! It took me FOREVER to find a map with steel! Most of my forts thus far have been tetrahedrite forts, which has made me seriously resourcefull. I used to welcome the gobbos, and would be desperate for caravans from the mountainhomes. You learn A LOT about traps when you can't trust your military in their copper shells.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 05:11:31 pm »

From the sounds of it, I set up my base pretty well then.....

This is the first wave, so I'm hoping they'll go easy on me though. IF I manage to build a wall in the right place, I will have access to everything but my barracks (which is 6 beds in a room right now) and trade depot. So if my traps dont do the trick, then I'll wait inside.

I've got a few unused floors, so I can make up a barracks, and if I need to, I can even make a secret tunnel out and ambush them from behind (will that work?)

No. Gobbos are like heat-seekers. If you open a single path to your fort, they will take it. For you to ambush THEM, you'd have to have them seeking one way into the fort which would have to be pathable (i.e. they could make it if you let them). Then you'd have to follow them in. They group up pretty good, so the moment they sense your soldiers behind them you may find yourself fight the group. It may be best to just focus on indoor work (including weapon manufacturing, trap construction, and military training) for this first seige.

And always remember - you can't save EVERY dwarf.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 05:24:17 pm »

And always remember - you can't save EVERY dwarf.

You can save every Dwarf if you kill 90% of them first

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 05:28:49 pm »

Oh, I know I can't. I've already got some coffins queued up :p

Now, is it better to throw them in their individual room, and reuse their furniture, or make a burial chamber? I can do either.

I'll be on in a few hours to give things a shot, and see how it goes! I'm expecting a loss, or at least a few dead, but at least I know what I'm doing (kinda)

And I'm not sure if I'll have survivors... I'll probably need to go 10 dwarves on one (these are unarmed peasants I drafted (or will be drafting). I don't wanna waste my legendary miners and their steel picks
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 07:20:24 pm »

merchant liaison got killed... It was a snatcher, so he ran off... -.-

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 07:26:30 pm »

I'll try navigate the wiki again :p I kept trying and trying to get a schedule to work, but the dwarves just wouldnt train, and then before coming here, i tried to change the schedule, and failed miserably...

You do the schedule, but do you also take the squad off "Inactive" on the (m)ilitary->(a)lert screen?  You have to set the squad to the "Active/Training" alert status for them to follow the schedule.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 07:37:13 pm »

If it's only an ambush, those traps and a group of drafted miners (with their picks!) can probably take care of it without much difficulty. Unless there are archers. Goddamn archers.

Only an ambush... My ambushes were 60 goblins at a time from the first year. First siege came around, 15 goblins. I was sorely disappointed :p

By the time I abandoned the fort, I was getting 100 gobbies a year (20k in trade stuff from them, yay). It was a missed ambush unit that got me, killed my Fisher dwarves, initiated a tantrum spiral. Ended with a 8 month old baby crawling over the corpse of her dead mother while my 8 month old was crawling over me. DF can be cruel :p

To be fair, those are usually multiple simultaneous ambushes. And again, if you have proper fortifications or can engage them piecemeal, you can still usually win, or at least drive them off. Use your drafted miners (except for one) and useless crafters to take down as many possible and keep them busy while you make weapons and armor. If there are still gobbos onmap by the time you have a dwarf or two equipped with proper gear, kill them. And if you still fail, oh well, wall up and rebuild, or let them end to finish the job.

As a side note, if you want fun, download a mod with a ton of races (or make your own), piss off all the non-autohostile ones, build up a decent supply of wealth, and enjoy the near-constant 300+ enemy ambushes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 [2]