Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lever Problems  (Read 1270 times)

Nitrotic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lever Problems
« on: May 16, 2008, 07:35:00 pm »

Hi, only just started playing Dwarf Fortress.  Loving it so far, despite the learning cliff you have to overcome to get into it.  Just a quick question though, I'm trying to set up my floodgates so that I can control the flooding of my farm room, and for some reason, no matter what I do, the Dwarves tell me that they can't hook up the lever to the floodgate.  I have the mechanisms required, and access to the floodgates SEEMS to be unobstructed...
So yeah, if you guys could help me out on that front, I'd appreciate it.  Peace out.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lever Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 07:43:00 pm »

Hmm. Hard to really say anything. A diagram of the setup would help, perhaps?
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 08:13:00 pm »

is the problem that it wont let you order them connected? as in it say something like "no access blah blah blah", or do you order them connected, and then later get a message "dwarf so and so cancels link floodgate to lever: has no brain".

if its one of those two you probably have a simple answer, otherwise, i dunno.

-Toast-_

Nitrotic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 10:36:00 pm »

My bad, I have the problem where my dwarves cancel the linkup, despite access being a simple matter.  I'll post a screenshot:

X = Floodgate
# = Wall
. = Floor

###
#X#
#.#
#X#

I'm trying to hook up the bottom floodgate, but for some reason they just cancel the order, claiming he can't get to it.  If you need more information, just ask and I'll give it...

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 10:39:00 pm »

If you're coming from the bottom side, then you'll have to open the bottom floodgate before he can reach the upper one.  and be careful not to trap him inside them while he's working.  I've lost dwarves that way on accident.
Demon of Darkness

Schmoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 11:37:00 pm »

Floodgates don't open for dwarves.  You have to link up a floodgate to a lever and then pull the lever in order to open it.  Once you've opened the first floodgate, the dwarves should have access to the second.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 12:01:00 am »

And just to be sure you are aware that if you have some type of soil, sand, or clay available you don't need to flood before farming?

Nitrotic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 05:14:00 am »

I'm trying to hook up the lower one, as I said, and I'm coming at it from below.  In theory, my dwarves should have no problems getting to it, which is why I'm wondering if I've done something wrong.  Although at this point, it's become an academic question, since I had to abandon that fortress.  I'll post here again if I continue to have trouble...