Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freakin ambushes kill my liason  (Read 865 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Freakin ambushes kill my liason
« on: February 27, 2012, 01:18:27 pm »

Every single freakin time the liason shows up, an ambush spawns at almost exactly the same time, right where the liason enters the map.  Way too quickly for my military to respond, the liason is slaughtered.  This has happened the last five years in a row, with only three succesful liason visits at the beginning of the fort.  On the third visit an ambush spawned as he was leaving and slaughtered him.

Since he seems to show up at a random spot each time, I can't think of any way to trap or patrol the area to intercept any ambushes before he's killed.  This time he showed up at the edge of the Filthy Muck that is raining all over half my map, passed out from the syndrome and somehow the ambush failed to be affected before they slew him.  Then the ambush all immediately fell unconscious.  (I suspect this might be a bug as well, if the ambushers are unaffected by nasty rains until they are detected?)

Any other ideas on how to keep my liasons alive?  At this rate, my fort is successful enough to at least get a duke or baron, but ain't happening until I can keep the liason alive.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
Re: Freakin ambushes kill my liason
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 01:52:08 pm »

Dig high traffic tunnels with entrance points scattered around the map edge, with cage traps in them.  If he can sprint to the nearest hatch, he'll be fine.  Perhaps station war dogs around the map edge, too, to draw their attention away from him.

EDIT: nvm, non citizens don't respect traffic zones.  Same thing but make a wall/trench to force him to use the escape hatch?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:06:03 pm by Sadrice »

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 02:49:19 pm »

I seem to remember reading something earlier today about roads influencing where caravans and liaisons spawned.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 03:47:03 pm »

I seem to remember reading something earlier today about roads influencing where caravans and liaisons spawned.

This is correct.  Build roads.

It's not a guarantee, but they are more likely to spawn there.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 04:08:17 pm »

Upright bridges are how you 'wall off' the map edges, but seeing as you're in an evil biome that may be impractical.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 04:20:05 pm »

Cover the outermost edges of the map with weapon and/or cage traps, and maybe a few walls to cut down on how many traps you will need, that'll fix things right up! This might not work if you are dealing with a human ambush or something, I'm just assuming you are dealing with goblins.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 06:18:40 pm »

What you're experiencing is probably ambushes lingering on your map for a few months until the liason arrives, every single time. Begin mine sweeping with armies of guard animals

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 11:52:31 am »

Yes it is goblin ambushes.  One of the problems with sending out guard patrols is that a good 2/3 of the map is covered in Filthy Muck which causes dizziness and unconsciousness.  So my patrols would spend most of their time passed out.  And it seems like the gobbos aren't affected until they are discovered.  My idiot Fisherdwarf spends most of his time passed out in the middle of Filthy Muck and on a couple of occasions he's been passed out when suddenly goblins.  (Somehow he's managed to run away and stay alive, despite my complete lack of interest in the well-being of a useless fisherdwarf...)

I'll try the roads thing.  I wasn't aware that affected where things spawned when they came in the map edges.  Any clue if that affects just caravans or also liasons?  If it affects everyone, I can have patrols watch just the road which I can put on the side of the map that isn't covered in Filthy Muck.

I'm pretty self-sufficient, but I would like to get a liason once in a while.  And I have the perfect, non-demanding dorf (he likes querns and backpacks...) to elevate to nobility.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0