Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: aqueducts  (Read 1527 times)

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
aqueducts
« on: May 16, 2008, 02:54:00 pm »

i am starting my first major water project. i am presently struggling with water pumps, but hopefully i can get them set in the next day or so.

the wiki mentions "aqueducts" and refers to them as if they are something that can be built. i cant find any command to build one though. is this a left over from a prior version, or am i missing it somewhere? currently i am just building it one wall tile at a time. its taking forever, but it will get done in the end.

-Toast-_

Goblin Dragoon 085

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: aqueducts
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 03:07:00 pm »

aquaeducts were part of the old 2 version and placeable, much like bridges. But now that we have z levels, we need to build the damn things by hand :P

Pumps are pretty easy to handle, once you realize, that they pump the water 1z level up.

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »

ok i was afraid of that aqueduct thing. oh well guess i can work with this.

the pumps though...sheesh. wiki says they can connect vertically. how? it say the front part of the pump doesnt need floor. eh? it wont let me place the pump if both squares arent on floor. im really confused on that part i guess. none of the diagrams are really making sense when i try to apply them in-game. i either need to figure it out, or tangle the place up with axels lol. any hints are apreciated  :D

-Toast-_

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »

I never understood the pumps completely until I saw the drawing of one in the wiki.

But to transmit water, you actually need to dig a channel from the water source to where you want it to go.

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 03:56:00 pm »

i have one pump that moves water up one level. what i have yet to figure out (actually i might have just learned, i am waiting on a dwarf to finish up, and then i will see) is how to get the second pump to takes its power from the pump below it.
-Toast-_

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »

You stack them over each other in an alternating way. The first pump is facing north, then the one above it facing south, etc. If you remove the floor where the front tile of the pump will be, they will transfer power through the gap.so the lowest pump will transfer it's power from it's back tile to the above pump's front tile, etc.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 04:27:00 pm »

What if you have a chasm to build over? Do you just build a bridge and hope that the water/magma flows over it without falling off? Do you build chains of pumps?

I never really understood why aqueducts were removed.

<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

StuffGuy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »

You could build a line of floors across the chasm, and then line it with walls.  The construction would be two tiles wider then the actual width of the water flow, but it should work.

[ May 16, 2008: Message edited by: StuffGuy ]

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 05:15:00 pm »

Channeling water/magma across an open space of any sort would require building walls and floors to keep the fluid in.  A bridge will just dump more off than flows across.  Although you could build a long bridge, then wall it in.  Just be careful how you build your walls, a bridge will let a dwarf build a wall, but won't actually support the wall.

In fact, that gives me an idea for a trap.  Something like a boiling oil chute that dumps magma (or large quantities of water) on invaders.

It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

StuffGuy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 05:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dareon Clearwater:<STRONG>
In fact, that gives me an idea for a trap.  Something like a boiling oil chute that dumps magma (or large quantities of water) on invaders.</STRONG>

Oooh, I like the possibilities.

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 06:19:00 pm »

Zagibu your awesome. i didnt realize that they need to alternate. that should hopefully straighten things out. i just wish these dwarves would get to work! silly seiges arent helping things either.
-Toast-_

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 06:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dareon Clearwater:
<STRONG>Channeling water/magma across an open space of any sort would require building walls and floors to keep the fluid in.  A bridge will just dump more off than flows across.  Although you could build a long bridge, then wall it in.  Just be careful how you build your walls, a bridge will let a dwarf build a wall, but won't actually support the wall.

In fact, that gives me an idea for a trap.  Something like a boiling oil chute that dumps magma (or large quantities of water) on invaders.</STRONG>

Excellent. Glad my griping could help.
Although the floor/wall idea is a good one. I'm a bit worried about cave-ins, but I guess turning them off would help.

<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die