Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: organic gems  (Read 1160 times)

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
organic gems
« on: February 24, 2012, 10:34:50 pm »

I'm trying to add a creature with shearable gem scales, but am not having any luck.  The [IS_GEM] token is in the material template but doesn't result in workable gems.  Can gems only be stone?  The [IS_GEM] token is not causing an error, according to an empty errorlog.

Also, is there a way to make an item a pearl instead?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: organic gems
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:43:21 pm »

Make the scales from the Gem material, also sheared tissue won't result in "Gem" it will simply be "(creauture's name) gem" you will need to make a custom reaction to  turned the sheared material into ROUGH (uncut gem) SMALLGEM (cut gem) GEM (large cut gem)

If you wanted it to drop a gem on butchering then you need the BUTCHER_EXTRA_OBJECT tag (I think thats the tag)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 11:09:22 pm »

In my experience, the gem cutter workshop will ignore any material that isn't defined in a [OBJECT:INORGANIC] file like the other gems are.  So what you need to do first is define a gem type, but one which lacks any ENVIRONMENT tag so it won't appear in the ground.  Then you can have your creature have a tissue made of that material with something like:

Code: [Select]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:(your gem here)]
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 11:48:43 pm »

I'm still doing something wrong here.

Using
[INORGANIC:WYRMSCALE]
     [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WYRMSCALE_TEMPLATE]
     [MATERIAL_VALUE:3][DISPLAY_COLOR:5:1:1][TILE:169][IS_GEM:iridescent scale:iridescent scales:OVERWRITE_SOLID]
in inorganic_stone_gem.txt.  Left in the TILE token just in case.  And the scales still aren't gems.  I've added the material WYRMSCALE, I've tried using STONE_TEMPLATE in both the gem and creature raws, and I've messed with the creature's scale material template, both with STONE and WYRMSCALE.  No errorlog messages, but nothing's working.

Using
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SCALE:DRAKESCALE_TEMPLATE]
     [TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:WYRMSCALE]
as well.  DRAKESCALE being a custom scale template.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 02:42:08 am »

No need anymore.  It turns out that adding [PEARL] to the material template turns it into pearl, which is used to decorate from the Craftdwarf's Workshop.  Thanks though.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 10:43:35 am »

In my experience, the gem cutter workshop will ignore any material that isn't defined in a [OBJECT:INORGANIC] file like the other gems are.  So what you need to do first is define a gem type, but one which lacks any ENVIRONMENT tag so it won't appear in the ground.  Then you can have your creature have a tissue made of that material with something like:

Code: [Select]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:(your gem here)]
That is correct
I'm still doing something wrong here.

Using
     [MATERIAL_VALUE:3][DISPLAY_COLOR:5:1:1][TILE:169][IS_GEM:iridescent scale:iridescent scales:OVERWRITE_SOLID]
in inorganic_stone_gem.txt.  Left in the TILE token just in case.  And the scales still aren't gems.  I've added the material WYRMSCALE, I've tried using STONE_TEMPLATE in both the gem and creature raws, and I've messed with the creature's scale material template, both with STONE and WYRMSCALE.  No errorlog messages, but nothing's working.

Using
as well.  DRAKESCALE being a custom scale template.
These will work, but when sheared they are not classed as a ROUGH,SMALLGEM,GEM item they are classed as CORPSEPIECE
No need anymore.  It turns out that adding [PEARL] to the material template turns it into pearl, which is used to decorate from the Craftdwarf's Workshop.  Thanks though.
That's a quick a dirty way of doing it. But if you go with what you were trying before you could have done this:
     [MATERIAL_VALUE:3][DISPLAY_COLOR:5:1:1][TILE:169][IS_GEM:iridescent scale:iridescent scales:OVERWRITE_SOLID][REACTION_CLASS:GEM_SCALE]

[REACTION:CUT_GEM_SCALES]
   [NAME:cut scales to gem]
   [BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:NONE] ------- Will show up in the Craftshop
   [REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][USE_BODY_COMPONENT][UNROTTEN]
      [REACTION_CLASS:GEM_SCALE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:SMALLGEM:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [SKILL:CUTGEM] -------- Gem Cutters will do this

Dont forget to permit the Reaction in the Entity

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 12:20:23 pm »

One other thing to try would be to add [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:ROUGH:NONE] to the [INORGANIC:WYRMSCALE] definition, and see if that will let the sheared material count as a rough gem.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 10:13:53 am »

I'll try those later.  The [PEARL] tag was actually my first choice, but there was nothing to indicate it was a MATERIAL tag as opposed to a CREATURE tag.

Thanks for the help

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 06:43:14 pm »

I did this a couple versions ago with gems that were embedded in the forehead of nagas, and existed nowhere else(and the number of nagas were limited), and yet my humans built cities made of those gems, also rocksalt pillars, but that was more understandable.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"