Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mayor demands  (Read 1247 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Mayor demands
« on: May 16, 2008, 07:20:00 am »

Help!

My last mayor died in prison after accidentally killing a legendary bowyer  :mad:

How he got to tantruming was by failing to meet a demand he had for 'item in office/throne room'.

I tried to build everything, all in silver when possible (he liked silver), green glass window, clear glass window, gem window, extra bed, tomb chain, cage. Nothing worked. Furniture in normal stone? Nope. He likes Rhyolite too, but it is not present on the map. Not even the bronze Colossus statue worked..  :confused:

My legendary champion has been elected as the next mayor. Now he has a demand for 'item in bedroom'. What could it possibly be? I don't want to see this mayor freak out, he'd probably kill the whole fortress. Anyone?

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mayor demands
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 07:23:00 am »

I believe that's a well-known bug, unfortunately. So make sure you have plenty of armour lying around for everyone to wear, or use Dwarf Companion or something along those lines to alter fate in your favour.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 08:12:00 am »

Thanks for quick reply. Hrmpf. The drowning pit it is then. Or maybe the maze of death... Can't choose..
I do have a few spare Trolls in cages that need feeding as well..
Can't get Companion to work. I install Python, but when I try to start Companion it mumbles about a missing dll.

Is this another bug?: My Count has unhappy thoughts for nobody being punished for recent failure. But I didn't fail any of his mandates. Only his wife died.. ANd yes, I do have enough asigned jails, guards and royal guards.

Oh, and for the armor part: I'm playing on a map without wildlife and am using the 'Armed Civilians Principle' I added to the wiki yesterday.(under design strategies>>fortress defence)
Which means ALL my dwarves are armoured, armed and shielded. Unfortunatly my civilians only wear full sets of GCS chitin leather armor, I don't have enough steel yet.

[ May 16, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 01:56:00 pm »

lol  Sounds like you've got quite a problem, since it seems like the mayor is consistenly elected from among your more skilled dwarves (?)  Not sure about that exactly, but it seems to hold true in my forts.
Demon of Darkness

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 02:01:00 pm »

Well actually your mayor is elected based, among others, on the number of friends he has and his social skills. Since social skills develop when dwarves are on break or partying, the longer your dwarf lives in the fort, the better his social skills. So yeah. Mostly it are your skilled dwarfs who are elected.
My mayor still lives though. The Gand Royal Dining room manages to keep him happy so far. The last mayor was a grumpy ass anyway.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 09:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>Well actually your mayor is elected based, among others, on the number of friends he has and his social skills. Since social skills develop when dwarves are on break or partying, the longer your dwarf lives in the fort, the better his social skills. So yeah. Mostly it are your skilled dwarfs who are elected.
My mayor still lives though. The Gand Royal Dining room manages to keep him happy so far. The last mayor was a grumpy ass anyway.</STRONG>

ya, I just keep my noble really, really, happy by engraving all of his rooms with masterpieces (I got a strange mood engraver right off the bat), giving him great furniture, and having my chef prepare amazing dishes that I can pretty much ignore anything my noble does except mandates. He is just to ecstatic to be bothered by such small minuses to his overall happiness.

Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 03:20:00 am »

Woohoo!!! Had another shot at installing Dwarf Companion, found the 0.10 exe and it works with 38c!! Now I can save my mayor (be it by periodically raising his happiness, can't find a way to remove the demand yet).