Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My fortress is immortal. I think.  (Read 1083 times)

ChudDwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
My fortress is immortal. I think.
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:15:28 pm »

I think my fortress will now survive all misfortunes. At least, maybe. We'll see.

I was attacked early on by a were-deer, and one of my dwarves infected; after figuring him out, I managed to confine him to a small burrow and then I just walled him in. He's been pretty content for the last two or three years now.

Oh, he gets thirsty, sure. But then he changes, and when he changes back he's not thirsty anymore.

Since it appears he can't die, and he's walled in so nothing can get to him, he should hold the fort open even if everyone else is killed until new migrants arrive. I'm not sure this is the intended behavior, but it might be handy.

The same trick might well work with a vampire too -- I'll try it if the opportunity presents itself.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
Re: My fortress is immortal. I think.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 10:19:39 pm »

That doesn't sound very fun to me... >_>

But, hey, since he's not doing anything else, make him your bookkeeper and manager. He doesn't actually need to SEE your fort to manage and keep records of it.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 10:19:52 pm »

Yes, vampires don't need to eat, drink, or sleep, so you can wall them up, Cask of Amontillado style, and the fort will live on forever.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:19:56 pm »

Won't the fortress fall when he is changed (not a dwarf) or if all you have are vamps (they are undead, not dwarves) and there are no other dwarves of your group/civ on the map?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 10:24:20 pm »

Won't the fortress fall when he is changed (not a dwarf) or if all you have are vamps (they are undead, not dwarves) and there are no other dwarves of your group/civ on the map?

Nope. Infact, vampires can wallow around in the undead (fallen and walking) corpses without them taking note. It's an easy way to determine whether or not one of your migrants is a vampire.

OldPrussia

• Bay Watcher
  • What do you mean we don't have a Pick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 10:27:43 pm »

Somehow, someway, Fun will happen. It will be Glorious.
"Yeah this metal is pretty cool better mine all of it... OH MY GOD."

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 10:33:24 pm »

The trapped cursed dwarf won't be able to bury/slab all of the bodies, so eventually an angry ghost will murder him.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 10:38:56 pm »

OR: The Angry Ghosts will eventually be murdered, as he goes into a fell mood and searches his solitary confinement for some form of dwarf to murder, so that he can create his Dwarf-Bone Toga.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 11:04:02 pm »

My current fort I had 80 dwarves and invaders off (for a megaproject). Then I had 8 dwarves. It is the !!fun!! wanting you to think that way; it will strike when you least expect it.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games