Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarfes. Marksdwarfes everywhere.  (Read 3417 times)

Krabonszcz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Marksdwarfes. Marksdwarfes everywhere.
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:47:26 am »

Hi
I started new fortress, i have about 100 dorfs
now i saved game before new immigrants
i want some new good warriors, but i get only marksdwarfes or archers ( i have 2 legendary marksdwarfes )
i would to get more good close combat warriors
i was loading game like 100 times, and only get about 4 warriors, which they had only skilled weapon levels 
i don't know why it's happening
it always been the other way around, great warriors, not archers
im getting some angry, cause i more like to get a good close combat warriors
so, what to do?
( sorry in mistakes in language etc. )

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarfes. Marksdwarfes everywhere.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 10:48:36 am »

Guess you embarked with a civ that likes marksdwarfes.

Just train up the melee guys, they train easily.

Krabonszcz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 10:51:18 am »

i forgot
the other problem is, that i discover only one underground cave, and there aren't much monsters to kill
now im on -120 lvl and no other caves or something
i think goblins will siege me soon, and then it's gonna be a problem ..

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:53:42 am »

It's fairly easy to miss caverns. Just dig out a cross every 5 levels or something, doubles as ore exploration.

You can't rely on immigrant skills, in general. It's nice if you get a good soldier/farmer/whatever, but never rely on it. If you feel you need melee guys, then start training them early.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 10:55:59 am »

every village now has a number of hunters and rangers to keep the area 'safe'. There are many more of these than of the melee guys, so you're more likely to get one of those. Similarly, you'll get a lot more fishery workers and growers and a lot les smiths and such.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Krabonszcz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 10:58:06 am »

k, i will look for more caverns
i started buliding a walls and towers outside ( i have underground fortress ) for my marksdwarves
maybe 10 marksdwarves squad shooting to goblins from walls is not such a bad idea...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 11:00:51 am »

i started buliding a walls and towers outside ( i have underground fortress ) for my marksdwarves
maybe 10 marksdwarves squad shooting to goblins from walls is not such a bad idea...

head over to the adventurer part of the forum and look at all the threads about people complaining about being shot by arrows and bolts. Even in the previous version, marksdwarfs could rout a siege.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 01:14:51 pm »

Marksdwarves can be awesome.

#1, create a shooting platform above the ground.  This is where you will station your marksdwarves when a siege comes.
- Trick #1 - a good platform is very narrow - 1-2 tile wide with fortifications on the enemy side.  If you make it wider, when you station your dwarves some may stand too far from the edge and can't "see" the enemy.  So make it narrow - force them to stand against the fortifications.
- Trick #2 - isolate the platform.  When you give a squad a station order, it is not exact.  If there is an empty room next to your shooting platform, some dwarves will stand in the room and be useless!  Isolate the platform so they can ONLY stand on the platform.
- Trick #3 - NO PATH to the enemy!  You want your marksdwarves to shoot, not fight!

#2, create an ammo stockpile inside the fort.  Place it close to the marksdwarves, but out of sight of the enemies.  Stock it with many bolts!

#3, the biggest trick - dwarves will fire at enemies until they run out of bolts.  Then they will charge, if they can find a path to the enemy.  If they can't, they will stand still and be useless (because of "Station" order).  BUT - if you give them an order to Patrol, and set the Patrol from the ammo room to the shooting platform, they will go and reload, and come back and shoot some more.

If you can get marksdwarves to reload, they become extremely effective, and can route any siege that does not contain archers without any losses.  They will now go through bolts like booze however, so be prepared to make many bolts.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Krabonszcz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 01:57:39 pm »

thanks man!
i need to make metal bolts, cause i have only wooden..
and i'm building a castle with moat, so crossbow dwarfs will shoot from height to enemies

EDIT:
i have one more question
why there are so many children in migration waves?
i have 28 kids
too much alcohol and sex?
:P
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:06:11 pm by Krabonszcz »

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 07:31:57 pm »

Don't forget bone bolts.  Metal bolts are the best, but in a pinch when you are low on metal, and have tons of bones in the refuse pile, you have lots of easy bolts.

28 kids is a lot!  Never seen so many.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 08:13:07 pm »

Marksdwarves can be awesome.

Always awesome.