Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Man-beasts now outnumber beasts and fantastical creatures?  (Read 1144 times)

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Man-beasts now outnumber beasts and fantastical creatures?
« on: April 02, 2012, 04:08:10 pm »

I'm loving the new update, but there's something that I noticed across all of my worlds and it's starting to grate on my nerves -- the new man-beasts appear to FAR outnumber actual animals and fantastical creatures.  So instead of embarking and finding a wonderland of unicorns and monkeys, I find hills of moth-men (or hamster men and such, but the grand majority appear to be insect-related).  Even with higher savagery, I was hoping to see a more balanced proportion of 'savage creatures' and animal-men that don't do anything except wander into my hallways and disrupt building.  XD

This poses the curious issue of finding things that are actually tameable or would seem a tad bit more appropriate for hunting. 

Am I the only one having this problem?

(( On a side note, I've also noticed that cavern trees and plants will immediately begin growing one z-level down from the surface if I've dug into some kind of loam floor [does not appear to work in sand] -- is this intentional, or a bug report issue? ))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Man-beasts now outnumber beasts and fantastical creatures?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 04:41:11 pm »

This is why I just delete all the animalmen (except the classic cavern ones) from the raws.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 04:53:45 pm »

It bugs me to somewhat, both the sheer quantity of them and their occurance.
Be better if they weren't as common and they'd cover a group of similar animals instead of having one for each type of animal in my opinion.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 05:47:32 pm »

Well, now that I know I'm not alone in the world with the problem.. hehe.  I didn't know there were any mods trying to work on them, thanks for the heads up.

I am very loathe to go wading through the raws, but it looks like that may be my only short-term option.  Alrighty then.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 06:08:35 pm »

There's been quite a dislike of animal man spam, I dare say it may have to be addressed by toady, I'm not sure. I agree it's way too much, nothing buy thrips men and louse men and panda men... where are my ANIMALS? I want DEER and BEARS!
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 02:52:28 am »

Another good mod, from .01, is this one. Much gentler than some other approaches, but may need some updating.

EDIT: Yes, the raws in question have changed, so I wouldn't recommend using it straight up any more. However, adding
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
to the end of the two animal men variants, and
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
in giant animals (both sets of tags should be added at the start of their respective [CV_NEW_TAG... sections) in c_variation_default.txt will make worlds generated after the change have considerably less animal men showing up, and only one giant per region.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 04:31:27 am by BigFatStupidHead »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 05:28:51 am »

I want more gibbonmen.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 07:36:04 am »

In my latest embark I just added [GOOD] to the animal person template.  Essentially it means they're still in the world, but I'll never see them unless I deliberately go to a good embark.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.