Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Great big bubble.  (Read 2383 times)

Muno syoan

• Bay Watcher
  • Victory dance!
    • View Profile
Great big bubble.
« on: May 15, 2008, 06:31:00 am »

New player (Blame Three panel soul), so I apologise for asking dumb questions, as I so rightly should.
1. I'm finding it a bit of a pain to micro manage my workshops. Is there a way to automate there tasks that doesn't involve using the R button? Such as setting them to build, say, any one of a variety of stues or weapons from a shortened buildlist you selected?
2 I planning to build a big hollow sphere into this dolomite mountain my Dwarves call home, for some reason. Is it best to strip mine it from above, working down layer by layer until I have the shape I want, or start from somewhere else and either cut out or build a stone scaffold to allow my miners to reach the desired areas?
3 Last one. I know you can build skylights using glass blocks, although I haven't gotten so far as to actually do that yet. Can you build mirrors? If you can, can you use them to refract light passed through the glass blocks into subterranean areas where light would not normally reach? e.g.
code:

XXXXXXOX
XX/OOO/X
XXOXXXXX
XXXXXXXX

X= Rock
/= Mirror
O= Glass
.= Crushing void (or corridor, take your pick.)

Or is that last one asking too much?

The use of violence is justified only under a tyranny which makes reforms without violence impossible, and should have only one aim, that is, to bring about a state of affairs which makes reforms without violence possible.
-- Karl Popper, The Open Society

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Great big bubble.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 06:34:00 am »

1. Only a few workshops can be automated, and that's their default state.  This includes butcher shops, tanners, and looms.  Essentially, workshops that serve only one purpose and process materials that have no other use in their raw form.

2. I tend to take it from the top, but it's up to you and how you work best.

3. No.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 06:48:00 am »

Since Kagus didn't expand on number 3, let me jump in with a a quick:

3.) Not yet.

There's a bunch of different arcs that Toady is planning.  I can't say for sure that mirrors won't be put in (I imagine for things like light they would), but until the Fire and Lighting arc is completed they definitely won't.

Goblin Dragoon 085

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 06:54:00 am »

3:

Light works currently like this:
If at any given moment a tile has a clear z-axis connection to the highest z-level it will be permanently marked as light.

So, if you build a house, without windows and a roof on the surface it will be light. If you dig a channel, to create a light tile and then floor over that tile it will remain light.
What does this practically mean: Glass does not let light pass through it! You can create greenhouses for outside crop, using stone instead of glass.

2:
You can use the ramp method: Mark z= for ramp declaration. After z=0 has been completely ramped go to z=-1 and desginate ramps on the whole level. This is less tedious than "strip channeling"

Muno syoan

• Bay Watcher
  • Victory dance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 07:05:00 am »

Thanks for the detailed responses! Very useful stuff.
One more question, though (before it comes up and bites me). Can other races tunnel? If, for instance, I was under siege by goblins, could they tunnel into my base and undermine my fortifications?

Very interesting about the functions of light by the way. Next at the top of my build list is an opaque greenhouse  :D. Looking at the arcs, it's not a high priority to get readjusted, but that's understandable.

The use of violence is justified only under a tyranny which makes reforms without violence impossible, and should have only one aim, that is, to bring about a state of affairs which makes reforms without violence possible.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 07:09:00 am »

Again, no.  Not yet.

But it's coming.

Muno syoan

• Bay Watcher
  • Victory dance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 07:18:00 am »

Again, thanks. That's the most threatening reassurance I've recieved all day.  :D

critical miracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 07:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Muno syoan:
<STRONG>New player (Blame Three panel soul), so I apologise for asking dumb questions, as I so rightly should.
1. I'm finding it a bit of a pain to micro manage my workshops. Is there a way to automate there tasks that doesn't involve using the R button? Such as setting them to build, say, any one of a variety of stues or weapons from a shortened buildlist you selected?</STRONG>

Try using the Manager screen (j) -> (m)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 10:50:00 am »

Note that digging ramps and digging channels both affect two layers at a time (ramps affect the layer above; channels affect the layer below). You will not be warned if you dig into a damp (i.e. near water) or warm (i.e. near magma) tile if that tile is on a different layer; thus, digging this way can easily breach fluids if you aren't careful.

That said, definitely go with the ramp approach, since ramps can be walked on, while open channels can't be. You can remove the ramps when you're ready for the next layer by doing "dz" (designate -> remove up stairs/ramps).

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 03:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by critical miracle:
<STRONG>

Try using the Manager screen (j) -> (m)</STRONG>

the problem with the manager is that once you get to twenty dwarves, the expedition leader (i think) will want an office to approve jobs.

I started off thinking that was the only way to do things, and messed myself over as a result.

The manager is also annoying to use.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 05:28:00 pm »

Once you have over twenty dwarves, it's worthwhile to have a dedicated beaureaucrat to handle stockpile records and manager tasks. I love the manager. It lets you specify the exact number of a thing you want, none of the clumsy repeating. And it doesn't cancel the tasks when the materials aren't there. Just spams you until they can be done. :P

That really is your best option at this point for automation.

Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Lairian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 06:52:00 pm »

As said above, use the manager.  It's delightful. (j)-->(m)

Dedicating a 2x2 room with a chair in it, and a immigrant peasant/soapmaker/woodburner is a  small price to pay.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 06:59:00 pm »

Ditto on the manager screen.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 09:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Goblin Dragoon 085:
<STRONG>3:

Light works currently like this:
If at any given moment a tile has a clear z-axis connection to the highest z-level it will be permanently marked as light.

So, if you build a house, without windows and a roof on the surface it will be light. If you dig a channel, to create a light tile and then floor over that tile it will remain light.
What does this practically mean: Glass does not let light pass through it! You can create greenhouses for outside crop, using stone instead of glass.

2:
You can use the ramp method: Mark z= for ramp declaration. After z=0 has been completely ramped go to z=-1 and desginate ramps on the whole level. This is less tedious than "strip channeling"</STRONG>

I don't know about other versions, but in the latest version for Mac tiles will go back to being dark and inside if they are roofed over. However, in that version glass will let light through so the roofed over tiles become inside and light.

Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.