Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: armor material strength  (Read 1276 times)

Genkora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
armor material strength
« on: February 25, 2012, 02:40:35 pm »

I was always under the impression that the order of armor strength was copper/bronze/iron/steel/adamantine. But according to the wiki http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Armor bronze is actually better than iron. Is this a mistake? Or is bronze really a stronger armor material?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: armor material strength
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 04:30:15 pm »

According to some source iron wasn´t a better material than bronze,
but was just more abundant and therefore was better suited for mass produced weapons.
It only changed after people learned to turn iron into steel

It´s this view that is reflected by the current strengths of bronze and iron

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 04:37:37 pm »

so si bronze really better?
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 04:52:52 pm »

why not do some testnig yourself, suit up some guys in arena mode with iron and bronze armor and put wooden weapons on them, see which one gets killed more often.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 05:51:48 pm »

I think the general consensus is that iron and bronze are very close in performance, with bronze being slightly better for blunt and iron having an edge in... well, edged weapons. They're usually close enough that it doesn't really matter which one you choose. That said though, some !!SCIENCE!! wouldn't hurt. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 05:58:29 pm »

I think the general consensus is that iron and bronze are very close in performance, with bronze being slightly better for blunt and iron having an edge in... well, edged weapons. They're usually close enough that it doesn't really matter which one you choose. That said though, some !!SCIENCE!! wouldn't hurt. :P
agreed, !!SCIENCE!! couldn't hurt, it could burn some dwarfs but it couldn't hurt a little :D
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 07:42:15 pm »

lots of rooms of guys in iron armor with wood swords against guys in bronze with wood swords showed that iron won more often. not sure about what testing was done for the wiki but ima assume it was bronze with bronze weapons against iron with iron weapons, i'm pretty sure bronze goes through iron better then most other types of weapons, but i'v heard its hardest for an object of one material to get through an item of its own material, meaning you might actually be best off wearing one iron one bronze and one copper mail shirt, maybe even better then just 3 iron ones.

also sorry for the double post forgot i was the last poster xD