Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plump Helmet Spawn  (Read 1639 times)

atomicoctobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Plump Helmet Spawn
« on: November 09, 2007, 03:47:00 pm »

For some reason, when selecting a field "plump helmet spawn" is in red and doesn't seem to want to activate. What does that indicate?

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Plump Helmet Spawn
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 03:58:00 pm »

If you're farming, screens that have red plant types indicate that the season you're trying to set farming for has already passed. For instance, growing sweet pods takes a long time; so long that the choice to grow them may turn red if it's too close to the end of the season, and the next season wont allow you to grow them.

As well, red objects on the stocks screen indicate objects that are "in use" and cannot be used in other tasks (blocks that are used in constructions do this)

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

atomicoctobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 04:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG>If you're farming, screens that have red plant types indicate that the season you're trying to set farming for has already passed. For instance, growing sweet pods takes a long time; so long that the choice to grow them may turn red if it's too close to the end of the season, and the next season wont allow you to grow them.

As well, red objects on the stocks screen indicate objects that are "in use" and cannot be used in other tasks (blocks that are used in constructions do this)</STRONG>

That's odd, then. I'd thought plump helmet spawn were usable year round? I can't recall encountering this problem in the previous two years of farming with these seeds, so I can't think of anything that would cause those seeds to be "in use".

It is a mystery.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 04:47:00 pm »

When this happened to me it was because a few of the squares of my farm plot had dried up and weren't muddy anymore. The entire plot became unusable until I reflooded.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 05:03:00 pm »

I know I can't farm them in late winter. I can the rest of the year. Might be a temperature thing?

atomicoctobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 05:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wiles:
<STRONG>I know I can't farm them in late winter. I can the rest of the year. Might be a temperature thing?</STRONG>

Yes, it seems that when spring came about the crop became available for planting. Sort of odd, since "late" winter shouldn't be any different for a crop that grows in both mid-winter and spring.

Exasperation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 08:56:00 pm »

I suspect that this is because it only checks for planting times for the current year, and the coming spring is part of the next calendar year.

cdawg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 02:34:00 pm »

yes last post is correct