Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 1349 times)

Cypherwulfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few questions
« on: November 09, 2007, 12:23:00 pm »

First I would like to say, I am enjoying this game immensely. Its been a really steep learning wall to get around, but I am at the point, where I can sustain a colony pretty well.

Now however, I have reached a point, where I want to try out Magma workshops. Okay, as I understand it, what I have to have basically, is the following

code:

Floor forge is on
    XXXXXXX
    XXX....
    XXX_...
    XXX...X
    XXXXXXX
Floor directly below
    MMMMXXX
    MMMMXXX
    MMMMXXX
    MMMMXXX
    MMMMXXX
X=wall
.=floor
_=empty space (a hole in the ground)
M=magma

Getting that set up is pretty darn easy. I can get something like that set up real fast, no dwarves die, and everything is cool. When I go to build the Forge over the top of it in the 3x3 room I made, the one spot that I put the hole in, keeps coming up as blocking the forge. Am I missing something important? Is there just some step I am jumping over that I am not understanding?

On another topic, does anyone know, that if you use alchohol to make a prepared meal, does it count for the dwarves as drinking alchohol as well? What I mean is, if I use up all my alchohol to make meals, will the get upset without it, or do the meals satisfy that need?

Thank you for your help.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 02:42:00 pm »

You don't put the dark green build spot on the magma, just the bright green ones.

No, cooked alcohol does not count as drinking (because it isn't a liquid anymore).

My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 02:45:00 pm »

The magma forge is a different type of workshop from the regular forge, and with it either the dark green or light green edge tiles can go over the magma (whereas a standard forge wouldn't let you stick anything out over the edge). Are you sure you're selecting magma forge (I think the hotkey for it is [v])?

Cypherwulfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 11:45:00 pm »

Okay, I must be completely blind, because I look through the list of all the buildings I can place, and I dot see magma workshops anywhere.

Okay, guess I was blind.... I am a complete idiot so ignore me, I will head back to the shadows.

Thanks for your help.

[ November 10, 2007: Message edited by: Cypherwulfe ]