Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: was anyone else aware that kobolds lay eggs?  (Read 2912 times)

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
Re: was anyone else aware that kobolds lay eggs?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 08:03:20 pm »

Yeah me too, I never thought of them as dogs or lizards. I used to call them Klabautermann :I

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 08:12:42 pm »

well the body size represents volume, so elves can be tall and very frail. Which makes them more fun to chop up!

And clearly kobolds are monotremes! The have skin which wrinkles with age, the capacity for learning, males develope facial hair, and they have all around mammalian characteristics, yet lay eggs. Very much a monotreme in design, whether they can actually be described as dog-like furry things or very much human in appearance.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 06:19:17 am »

Awesome! can I anyhow make a kobold farm in fortress mode?

>Is going to do this

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 06:22:51 am »

I always imagined kobolds as brown squat humanoids, kinda like in slaves of armok 1.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 07:45:42 am »

Kobolds in DF have always been sort of little dragon-like things rather than the dog like things. Closer to D&D I believe. They've been egg layers since eggs were added. Before Toady made only pets and livestock claim next boxes, attacking Kobolds could claim a nest box. I'm not quite sure how it works anymore, as [INTELLIGENT] creatures have to be married, but Kobold aren't intelligent...
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Salmonpunch

• Bay Watcher
  • Fishing poles are for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 08:20:56 am »

Someone needs to find a way to acquire one of these eggs in fortress mode, then begin a Kobold breeding program.

Then weaponize it.
This is Gabe Newell, a vast humanoid. He undulates rhythmically. Beware his deadly release schedule!
Oh look, more apocalypse in my cereal.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 08:23:57 am »

Acquiring an egg will be no use. AFAIK (although I've never personally tested it) a male must be present on the map at the time of laying for the egg to hatch. So you'd need to somehow get a Kobold on a nest box, with others around. And no, they will not claim nest boxes or lay eggs otherwise. The only way to change this would be modding, but it would remove part of what they are.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.
Pages: 1 [2]