Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unable to build: Creature in the way  (Read 1578 times)

Aggiedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unable to build: Creature in the way
« on: May 14, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »

Ok I managed to get this message. I kind of expected it because I was using the teleporter(really 5 ambushes in a row!). Now I need to build, but obviously it won't let me. Would

1. Allowing a dwarf to walk through, or be stationed on the tile fix the occupency flag?

2. The crushing bridge method raising and lowering over the affected tiles?

work?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: Unable to build: Creature in the way
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 05:17:00 pm »

I haven't played the Fortress in months, but wouldn't you have the same problem building a drawbridge?

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 06:30:00 am »

Ok, unable to build what?

And is there any full cage traps in the way?

quot;A Noble would have to be very fast, very tough, have the ability to breath water, survive a fall from about 30 stories, have asbestos skin, innards made of titanium... then, and only then, would he dare to demand Adamantine items"

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 10:18:00 am »

This sounds like the bug from teleporting creatures around that left the occupancy flag set. As far as I know there is no way to fix this in the game itself, you will need to use one of the tile editing utilities.

One way would be to use the designator ability of dwarf companion(make sure to use the latest version, .11 as of this post), in conjunction with the tilegui by Valdemar
here(first link, save to disk and put in the scripts directory of companion)

Backup your save. Run tilegui.py, enter k mode in DF, assuming the area is clear of items hitting get on the tileinfo line should bring up something like 153 f5000 0 (first and second numbers determine tile type and material). Move the cursor around the area getting the tileinfo at each location. The effected tile should have a third value that is not 0, without anything appearing to be in the tile, use the get for both sets of coordinates on the same tile, edit the third value to 0 and hit set tiles.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 11:24:00 am »

I had essentially this problem a while ago, though it wasn't through use of the teleporter.  I did fix it with the bridge crushing method, but it wasn't perfect.  Sometimes the bridge would fix a particular square, and sometimes it wouldn't.  Rebuilding the bridge using a different size/position/orientation would sometimes change the effect, though, so eventually I removed all the squares that were causing troubles.  It seemed that 1x2 raising bridges worked best, if I remember correctly.

Aggiedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 06:04:00 pm »

Thanks for the help, but unfortunatly I downloaded the tilegui and the dwarf companion and ran into a problem. I get this error message saying I need 8 arguements when I only have 7. I am not sure what other input I need, but basically, I set my range(obviously one tile so it's the same coordinate), and then change the third number to 0. I press "set tile", then the error occurs, and when I check the tile info, it goes back to the original number. Any suggestions?

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 06:39:00 pm »

..doesn't Tweak let you fix this too?  AFAIK tweak woudl work well.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Aggiedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 06:58:00 pm »

Like teleporting a dwarf to that spot and undoing the flag?

It might work, though I am just moving the problem, which is better than before.  :)

Aggiedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 12:00:00 am »

@Sukasa

Umm, oh wow, I thought I had to do something crazy to fix it. You were right, it does! Thanks, this makes life alot easier!