Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moat /Dam/Unit list questions  (Read 1689 times)

Bluebolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moat /Dam/Unit list questions
« on: May 14, 2008, 11:57:00 am »

1. so far almost everything swims, what are moats good for? more specificaly how do i make them lethal/impasable.

2. Can you dam river? what happens?

3. an you remove deceased units from the unit list? the hundreds of dead mountan goats are annoying

also some side questions, if i make a waterfall can creatures pass it (grate beneath the fall) and would it do anything other than look nifty? Oh and as for dissarming caged goblins  the stocklist just shows weapons 40? 30? what am i not doing here?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Moat /Dam/Unit list questions
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 12:06:00 pm »

1. It is very easy to make a moat impassable.  Just don't fill it with anything.

2. It is possible to dam a river, but very, very, very difficult and time-consuming.  The result is that the river is dammed for all eternity.  Well, okay, only for as long as you don't deconstruct the dam.

3. Nope.  You think mountain goats are annoying?  Try a fort that's had several goblin sieges.  This issue will supposedly be fixed sometime soon.  Or not.

4. Creatures can pass underneath waterfalls.  They get wet by doing so.  Also, everybody loves mist.

5. Stocks will show up with a rounded number and a question mark at the end if you do not have an active bookkeeper.  Give your bookkeeper a chair to sit in and tell him to think really hard (maximum stock accuracy option) about what your fortress has.  Things will clear up in short order.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »

Damming a river is possible by using pumps or a large underground cavern to drain the water while you put walls or floodgates in. The river will simply stop when it hits the barrier you've erected; it won't overflow or anything like that.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 01:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>Damming a river is possible by using pumps or a large underground cavern to drain the water while you put walls or floodgates in. The river will simply stop when it hits the barrier you've erected; it won't overflow or anything like that.</STRONG>

Or waiting until it freezes over, then rewalling the mined tiles.

Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Bluebolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 12:36:00 am »

hm, tried it and interestingly enough you cant build/stand on a brook square, however if you chanel it you can then build a construction, nifty

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 02:07:00 am »

brook is filled with little-little stones (the small and rond ones i dont know the name) thats whay they dont have dangerouse fishs inside.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 02:51:00 am »

"1. so far almost everything swims, what are moats good for?"

Looks currently... I don't even know if you can place dangerous sea animals in there for Goblin sieges

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 04:56:00 am »

Generally anything that ends up in my moat ends up there because they are flung off a raising drawbridge- into 7/7 water.

So far nothing has survived, indeed nothing has even moved from the square they landed in so I assume there's no swimming involved- Either they are stunned and thus drowned or your moat isn't deep enough I guess...

Although now I come to think of it nothing has ever swam over my moat anyway- I can think of a good way to achieve both the drowning and the stopping if they do though- build you moat two z-levels deep and only fill one z-level with water

[ May 15, 2008: Message edited by: RickiusMaximus ]

quot;A Noble would have to be very fast, very tough, have the ability to breath water, survive a fall from about 30 stories, have asbestos skin, innards made of titanium... then, and only then, would he dare to demand Adamantine items"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 09:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mohreb el Yasim:
<STRONG>brook is filled with little-little stones (the small and rond ones i dont know the name)</STRONG>

They're called pebbles

Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 11:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RickiusMaximus:
<STRONG>Generally anything that ends up in my moat ends up there because they are flung off a raising drawbridge- into 7/7 water.

So far nothing has survived, indeed nothing has even moved from the square they landed in so I assume there's no swimming involved- Either they are stunned and thus drowned or your moat isn't deep enough I guess...</STRONG>

They get stuck in the moat. Without either adequate swimming skill or a ramp/staircase, they can't get out, and therefore just sit there and wait for death. Any creature that can't find a path to where they want to be (or don't want to be) will simply stay put.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels