Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma!  (Read 1361 times)

Gislamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma!
« on: November 09, 2007, 12:20:00 am »

Ok, I've been wondering how to make a magma forge from a volcano caldera: I tried following the channel technique as I understood it, so please tell me whats wrong.

Here's the upper level

G= Ground
S= Staircase
M= Magma
.= channel
X= rock.

MMMMMMXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXGGGGGGG
MMMMMXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXGGGGGGG
MMMMXXX...........................................GGGGGGG
MMMMXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXSSSGGGG

And the Lower..

MMMMXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
MMMXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
MMXXXXXGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGXX
MXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXSSS

So I though I would dig the last few squares and let the magma flow to the end of the channel. The dwarves seem to disagree and say the rock is warm. They are refusing to dig out whats left. How do I get the magma flowing, and if I do, will it power my forges? If it doesent, I guess I build a floor over it?

Thank you!

PS: there's about 5 floors of magma on top of that.

[ November 09, 2007: Message edited by: Gislamo ]

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 11:01:00 am »

You're not trying to dig the channel while standing in it, are you? Are you trying to kill your miners? Make a path beside the channel above and then just assign the ground between your channel and the magma for channeling.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Greenwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 11:57:00 am »

after they complain about warm stone and cancel, just redesignate the stone for digging, and they should do it the second time.  
of course, as the above poster said, you'll lose the miner unless you are standing above the level the magma will enter at and digging a channel below..

Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 12:10:00 pm »

From the looks of your diagram, the magma on the upper floor is closer to your mine shaft than the one on the bottom floor. Your going to need to make another shaft on a different z-level, so the magma on the second floor is farther in than the magma on the first floor, like so:
code:

First Floor:

~~~###########.....
~~~~##########.....
~~~~#..............
~~~~##########<....
~~~###########.....

Second Floor:

~~~###########
~~############
~~~##_________     <---- Dig out that last bit and let the magma flow!
~~~##.........>
~~############

~ = Magma
# = Wall
_ = channel
. = ground
> = downward stairs
< = upward stairs

[ November 09, 2007: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 09:44:00 pm »

Because of the shape of my magma (cone, pointing down, with cavern above, and magma creatures) I couldn't dig safely from above.  Instead, I first dug out a wide mouth, to slow the lava flow, then dug into a diagonal, where only a single square of magma could feed the flow at a time.  Because I wasn't sure if that would work, I used a peasant, and was surprised to see my unskilled miner race away far faster than the magma.  Even with no agility, he was unscathed (although his dog burned up).

On the other hand, I've punctured lava without being prepared, by an agile extremely tough master miner, and he got microwaved like jiffy-pop (before warnings for diagonal hot stones were implemented).

It's all about being prepared for the flow with a wide mouth to slow it initially.

Good:

code:

%%%%%77
%%.1%67
..123%7
%%122%7
%%%%%%7

Bad:

code:

%%%%%66
%%%%%66

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.