Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: no value at trader?  (Read 11883 times)

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
no value at trader?
« on: May 13, 2008, 05:17:00 pm »

So the first merchants arrived at my fortress but oddly enough i can't see the value of my items or the items the merchants trade. This is the first time this happened. Bug?
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: no value at trader?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 05:24:00 pm »

Not exactly... You need an Appraiser to be the trader... or else you cannot see the price of objects.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 05:26:00 pm »

It's not a bug, the dwarf trading needs to have the appraisal skill in order to see what the values are.  Normally, they obtain it by looking at a large amount of stuff at the trade depot, but if the trader didn't bring much, then the appraisal skill would not increase.  You need to make your best guesses in this scenario, and try again with the same dwarf next time traders come.

You might be able to increase his skill by brining a bunch of your stuff to the trade depot, but I'm not sure.

[ May 13, 2008: Message edited by: Frelock ]

All generalizations are false....including this one.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 05:32:00 pm »

As in novice appraiser? Thing is that i never put points into appraiser and i always could see value when the first merchants arrived, guess he didn't have much time now to level up appraising cause he's still a dabbling appraiser. (made him mine till merchants arrived, dunno) Also strange the merchants wouldn't just value their items, hmm.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »

Maybe the (non)problem is this:

When traders arrive, go to the depot with (q) and move (g)oods to the depot.
You can't see the value there, in the "move goods" screen, unless you (v)iew an item.

When some stuff has been moved, go to the depot again and set "Trader (r)equested". When a dwarf is trading (1), (t)rade.
You should see item values in the "exchange goods" interface - the traders' goods (with value and weight) are on the left, yours (with value and weight) on the right. (2)
Make sure to (t)trade stuff, not (o)ffer it (for free).

I hope I got all the keys right ...

And check out the wiki  :)
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Trade

(1) It's easiest to turn "anyone can trade" on, though you'll have to offer the trader a "good deal" - he'll want to make more of a profit with an inexperienced trader...
(2) Even with "anyone can trade" on, AFAIK you'll always see a value in the actual trade interface.

[ May 13, 2008: Message edited by: Samyotix ]

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 05:52:00 pm »

I've had this happen as well, but only when an unskilled appraiser was trying to trade.    :D
Demon of Darkness

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Samyotix:
<STRONG>Maybe the (non)problem is this:

When traders arrive, go to the depot with (q) and move (g)oods to the depot.
You can't see the value there, in the "move goods" screen, unless you (v)iew an item.

When some stuff has been moved, go to the depot again and set "Trader (r)equested". When a dwarf is trading (1), (t)rade.
You should see item values in the "exchange goods" interface - the traders' goods (with value and weight) are on the left, yours (with value and weight) on the right. (2)
Make sure to (t)trade stuff, not (o)ffer it (for free).

I hope I got all the keys right ...

And check out the wiki     :)
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Trade

(1) It's easiest to turn "anyone can trade" on, though you'll have to offer the trader a "good deal" - he'll want to make more of a profit with an inexperienced trader...
(2) Even with "anyone can trade" on, AFAIK you'll always see a value in the actual trade interface.

[ May 13, 2008: Message edited by: Samyotix ]</STRONG>

Thanks for the explanation but i was indeed on the tradesceen (t) with my broker after having moved stuff to be traded there (g), i could also see the weight of the items but not the value, thats why i was a little bit suspicious, also the first time i could not see the value.

Then again, i did have 5 legendary miners when the caravan arrived, so i guess my dwarves didn't have much time bettering any other skills like social skills or appraising.

[ May 13, 2008: Message edited by: Doppel ]

edit: eh, i just checked (z) and it indeed says that i need a broker with appraiser skill to see value, so how do i make him level in appraising for when the next merchants come?

[ May 13, 2008: Message edited by: Doppel ]

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 07:00:00 pm »

the best way to level apraisal is to trade. Unfortunately.