Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding balefire to the game  (Read 1344 times)

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
Adding balefire to the game
« on: February 22, 2012, 11:44:27 am »

After reading a bit about the Wheel of Time universe I got the idea to add balefire to the game. I could copy the basics of it from the [CREATURE:DRAGON] entry, but in the WoT series balefire has the effect of making somthing to not have existed for a time back proportional to the amount of power behind it. This could result in the situation of A kills B, then C kills A with balefire, ressurecting B. Is there some way to add this property to an ability in DF?
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adding balefire to the game
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:02:38 pm »

After reading a bit about the Wheel of Time universe I got the idea to add balefire to the game. I could copy the basics of it from the [CREATURE:DRAGON] entry, but in the WoT series balefire has the effect of making somthing to not have existed for a time back proportional to the amount of power behind it. This could result in the situation of A kills B, then C kills A with balefire, ressurecting B. Is there some way to add this property to an ability in DF?

No. Not at all.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 01:02:27 pm »

Not only is it not possible to add such an effect through modding, I suspect it would be impossible to do even if Toady were to devote his entire effort into adding it to the game source code.  The type of ability you describe, in which a cause in the future can cause effects in the past, would make it possible to set up logically self-contradictory situations whose end state would not actually be possible for a computer to predict even in theory.  It's easy when you're an author and writing a story which is carefully contrived to only create scenarios which lead to consistent outcomes, but you know damn well that if you give the DF community a time-travel ability someone will promptly break the universe with it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 03:39:00 pm »

It'd still be fun, tho...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 03:51:37 pm »

Shame that this would be so, so increadbly difficult to add. As a alternitive, I suggest making a heated breath weapon that causes both necrosis and melting vi heat, and call that Balefire.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 08:56:58 pm »

There is an RT(not really...)S being done out there, called Achron or something, that allows jumping about and twisting causality into knots...