Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Whats your tought about... DINGOS?  (Read 7221 times)

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your tought about... DINGOS?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 08:40:44 pm »

Strong? Do you mean starting-as-demigod strong, or better than that? Because I pretty regularly took on wolf packs as an elf in 0.31, right off the bat, using nothing more than a wooden spear.

Speaking of which, does anyone else think it's odd that random hooved animals are deadlier than wolves and hippos?

Well, some of those make sense. I'd much rather confront a dingo then a pissed off moose or yak or elk or something.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 08:47:58 pm »

I don't see the problem people have with dingoes. they're really, really easy to kill. I sometimes hope for them so my demigod can kill them and get meat.

nate101

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 11:14:35 pm »

I remember my first fight with a dingo. It was a named dingo (with its own lair and everything) that the people in my starting hamlet told me to go kill. As soon as I entered the tunnel, the dingo saw me and charged at me. I waited until it was right next to me, and then I hit it in the lower body with my mace. I managed to make it sick, and I watched with amusement as it writhed on the ground regurgitating everywhere. After about a minute, I finally decided to finish it off with a quick hit the the head. I grabbed some rocks from the floor and butchered its corpse and drank its blood. On the way back to the hamlet I was attacked by bogeymen. I entered a martial trance (that was also my first dwarf adventurer), struck down two of them, and then tried running from the other two, as I had exited the trance shortly after killing the second bogeyman. None of them were armed (is it possible for bogeymen to be armed?), so they managed to punch and bite my legs enough so I couldn't stand, then one of them hit me in the head, cracking my skull and tearing my brain.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 11:15:58 pm »

That's more of a bogeyman encounter.  And no, bogeymen cannot wield weapons.  The world will end if they ever learn to do so.  Just like if demons knew how to use a pick to break through the adamantine. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 01:31:49 am »

I'm tempted to rename them to wild dog... Dingo is just such an earth-specific name for what is essentially a wild dog anyway.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 01:37:36 am »

Not really.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 05:20:46 am »

They get messed up by boogeymen.

nate101

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 10:54:10 am »

That's more of a bogeyman encounter.  And no, bogeymen cannot wield weapons.  The world will end if they ever learn to do so.  Just like if demons knew how to use a pick to break through the adamantine.

Although, I view it more as the dingo's fault. If it had just managed to keep its vomit on the inside I wouldn't have been entertained until it was almost nightfall. I also forgot to mention, after I died I looked in legends and discovered that the dingo was only a major historical figure because it attacked two dwarves, and it somehow managed to escape getting killed both times.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 11:19:37 pm »

Dingo stole my baby... Watcha!
You know, every time I see a dingo, I can't help but think, "The dingo ate your baby" in my head.  Last thing I need is you reinforcing that :P

Thank you Seinfeld for brainwashing me with this...

Oh if you don't know what I am talking about: The dingo ate your baby!

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 12:28:59 am »

Whenever I fight groups of animals in the wild, I always think I'm Skywalker avenging his mother from Tuskan raiders.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 12:34:36 am »

Normal dingos: mildly irritating, unhelpfully numerous, not actually that dangerous.  Good weapons training if you need it. 

Giant dingos: ARGLEBARGLEFARGLE STOP CHARGING AT ME AND KNOCKING ME OVER SERIOUSLY

(still not actually that dangerous, but that's probably the Legendary Dodger talking)
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 12:50:52 am »

Speaking of which, does anyone else think it's odd that random hooved animals are deadlier than wolves and hippos?

That's the problem of the way that the raws are basically just copy-pastes of each other. 

I've harped on that problem at length in other forums on this board, but basically, a cow and a alligator and a giraffe have the same relsize parts and use the same code for their bites, but the cow is larger, and as such, has a more powerful bite than the crocodile. 

Hooves, meanwhile, are based upon the mass of the creature, and horses are just plain large and heavy. 

It's hypothetically possible to fix, though - you can amp the strength of a croc's bite by adding the velocity modifier onto the attack through a mod, and make creatures actually have the bite force a creature like them should have.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 02:44:49 am »

Actually you can change the ratio of muscle to other tissues as well; more muscle results in more power. Of course that was tested with tails, as blunt-force weapons, so I dunno if it translates properly to bite force.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 02:55:37 am »

Dingo stole my baby... Watcha!

Ah, Seinfeld. Taking a grisly death of a child and turning it into comedy. (That's not a good thing.)

As for DF Dingoes, I haven't found any problem- they're pretty much similar to wolves.
Pages: 1 [2]