Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Becoming a necromancer with little to no training.  (Read 4228 times)

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Becoming a necromancer with little to no training.
« on: February 21, 2012, 12:03:40 pm »

So, i am currently really close to becoming a necromancer with a character i made.
First, i gathered 3 axemen.
Then i went directly for the closest necromancertower.
Then i sacrificed to 3 axemen in an attempt to lure the necromancers out.
It worked, and i isolated the now completely defenceless necromancers from their zombie slaves.
Now i have picked them off, and almost ready to get my powers.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Becoming a necromancer with little to no training.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 12:06:04 pm »

So, i am currently really close to becoming a necromancer with a character i made.
First, i gathered 3 axemen.
Then i went directly for the closest necromancertower.
Then i sacrificed to 3 axemen in an attempt to lure the necromancers out.
It worked, and i isolated the now completely defenceless necromancers from their zombie slaves.
Now i have picked them off, and almost ready to get my powers.
Edit: I have 9 notable kills: 5 zombies and 4 necromancers.
Also: Let the !discussion! commence! Tell me what you think.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 12:16:57 pm »

I had to kill over hundreds on zombies on multiple different characters before I managed to make them have enough small numbers that I managed to sneak to level two and kill zombies on that level to get the book. (before that, they somehow spotted me sneaking to level two(in which everytile had more than one zombie) and somehow got lucky hits and killed me instantly)

Please note that I managed to kill necromancers on first try. Also, there was bit of problem of reaching the tower without getting ambushed by bandits or giant dingo pack or dingo men... Yeah, thats in pre patch version.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 12:33:26 pm »

Trowing pebbles at the zombies is instakill

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 12:46:20 pm »

Yeah, but that doesn't help when zombies instakill you when you enter floor two  :P Like I said, in my tower every tile had at least one zombie, and somehow they spotted me each time I entered second floor and attacked me resulting in that at least one of them managed to injure me enough for them to bum rush me.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 12:57:50 pm »

Yeah, but that doesn't help when zombies instakill you when you enter floor two  :P Like I said, in my tower every tile had at least one zombie, and somehow they spotted me each time I entered second floor and attacked me resulting in that at least one of them managed to injure me enough for them to bum rush me.

For me the second floor is stuffed aswell, i guess we could sacrifice some soldiers?

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 01:00:11 pm »

That wasn't option to me as they never entered there before me.

I eventually got lucky and didn't get spotted right away, killed few zombies and sneak throw killed rest of them.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 01:17:14 pm »

i've had noob characters come really close to getting the books, but none actually survived the dreaded second floor. I agree that here should be something to stifl necromancy, maybe even making it  a generational skill, ex. epic swordhero liberates tablet from necromnacers, then stores it in human fort... retires and next guy has full "magic" skill so he uses it and becomes a really overpowered necromancer warlord.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 01:23:57 pm »

become a vampire.  the zombies will not aggro, though the necros will.

take a book that provides the necro secrets.  deposit this book in a lair.  retire.  take newbie character to this lair.  take the book.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 01:24:53 pm »

i cant even seem to find any necromancer towers, but i know there are some in my maps what symbol do they show up as or do you have to go around asking about surroundings to find em?
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 01:55:42 pm »

towers are the purple I symbol. 

I was swamped by them my first time.  I couldn't even get to the second floor because of massive zombie horde. 

mccrapper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 06:03:10 pm »

I did exactly this, I attacked a tower with 2 soldiers as bait. Only thing I'd killed before hand was a bandit camp and some dingoes, but I lucked out completely: There was 1 Necromancer outside, and I killed him before anything else, so he couldn't keep raising the zombies back, and there was a book with the secrets of life and death on the first floor, so I only had to kill one floor of zombies. There were like 5 other Necromancers at the top of the tower, though, is that normal? I kinda assumed it was 1 Necromancer per tower...
I'll rip out Princess Bubblegum's heart... and make out with it.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 01:06:47 am »

I did exactly this, I attacked a tower with 2 soldiers as bait. Only thing I'd killed before hand was a bandit camp and some dingoes, but I lucked out completely: There was 1 Necromancer outside, and I killed him before anything else, so he couldn't keep raising the zombies back, and there was a book with the secrets of life and death on the first floor, so I only had to kill one floor of zombies. There were like 5 other Necromancers at the top of the tower, though, is that normal? I kinda assumed it was 1 Necromancer per tower...
there were 8 (including a "boss" master necromancer) in the tower i got my book from ("better death, nice name for a book holding the necro secrets)
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 09:41:40 am »

become a vampire.  the zombies will not aggro, though the necros will.

Seconded.  Vampires are much easier to kill/become than necromancers, and vampirism makes becoming a necromancer much easier.  The only disadvantages that I've noticed are:
1) needing to drink blood (having a massive army of zombies that will kill anything around you is not the best thing when you need to keep creatures alive so you can feed from them)
2) there's a bizarre speed-drop thing that several people have commented on (it seems that, when you feed on something, your teeth grow so ridiculously big that it actually slows you down noticeably {this is just the latest hypothesis I've heard; it may be something else entirely})
3) I'm not sure what causes it, exactly, but it seems that some combination of vampirism and necromancy (probably related to raising corpses) may turn every person you talk to hostile.  During my most recent adventure, I became a vampromancer (or necrovamp or whatever), and it wasn't too long before all my conversations turned into:
"Hello, I'm Adventurer WanderingPants the Silk Word of Slaying!"
"Don't talk to me."
This would occasionally become violent.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs