Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "..cancels Sparring in Barracks: Dangerous Terrain&  (Read 2281 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"..cancels Sparring in Barracks: Dangerous Terrain&
« on: May 13, 2008, 07:14:00 am »

Me again.  :)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: "..cancels Sparring in Barracks: Dangerous Terrain&
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 07:24:00 am »

Dwarves are scared of blood.  If there's so much as a speck of blood on your floor, sparring dwarves will stop whatever they're doing and wander around somewhere.

And I can see a speck.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 07:53:00 am »

Ahh, I had no idea! That is weird, I could swear I've seen blood flying everywhere usually when dwarves are sparring. I guess you mean blood from other incidences, such as intruders - that would make sense. Someone had beaten up a kobold in that room a few minutes ago.

Thanks. =)

I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 07:55:00 am »

Actually, I think any blood will do.  And yes, dwarves do shed a few drops during sparring, but that doesn't seem to bother them unless they wander over it again.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 07:59:00 am »

They're just a bunch of suicidal, manic-depressive, cowardly, lemmings.

But I love them anyway. xD

Trollvottel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 10:49:00 am »

@OP / Moogie:

IMO it's definitely the statue.

A dwarf who dodges onto a statue can not fight from that position, and will cancel his current sparring session.
(At least my last couple of such messages were always from when I'd tried to fill a hole in the wall with a statue; I was quick enough with the pause to actually see the dwarf "climbing off" the statue.)

Don't put statues in barracks, and no wells either.

(I think Kagus may be right in that dwarves will only start sparring in a clean barracks, that certainly would explain some of the off-duty guys being on "Soldier" all the time ... but IMO they won't cancel sparring even if they're knee-deep in blood. Cancelling IMO comes only if they hit tiles they're not supposed to be on, like a statue, and reportedly wells which they can even fall into ...)

[ May 13, 2008: Message edited by: Trollvottel ]

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 01:13:00 pm »

Thanks for that, I'll move it outside and see if I ever get the message again.  :)

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 02:18:00 pm »

I gota agree with Trollie, I've had blood an vomit everywhere in my barracks and the boys kept beatin the piss outta each other.  Stairways (esp down) will cause the same problem, FYI.  good excuse for a floor hatch
Demon of Darkness

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 03:54:00 pm »

It's actually quite obvious that dwarves need empty space to spar. Just imagine a boxmatch with a huge stone statue in one corner of the ring, probably with points and sharp edges...FUN.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 04:45:00 pm »

Was the dwarf in question anywhere near the barracks at the time? I've had dwarves cancel tasks on say, the eastern half of a map, because they encounter something dangerous on the opposite side.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 05:59:00 am »

Even in death Lir 'spikedfist' Rumbar continued to shed blood of his fellow dwarves.
For his comemorative iron statue, menacing with spikes of obsidian, had a place of honour in the barracks.

tasks that take them into water of 3-4 deep also scares them.

(I'm currently dumping animal corpses in a ramped pit near my butchery, the message the cancellation generates is nice because I can then go to the pit and un-dump the meat for processing. Benefit: Dump designation reaches the whole map, while the butchershop has only a small effective reach.)
Also, I just found out having the same dwarf hunt and butcher is ineffective, she will run around the map killing everything and let the abatoir turn into a putrecene factory.

[ May 14, 2008: Message edited by: Areyar ]

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 06:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by zagibu:
<STRONG>It's actually quite obvious that dwarves need empty space to spar. Just imagine a boxmatch with a huge stone statue in one corner of the ring, probably with points and sharp edges...FUN.</STRONG>

Hey I saw that last month.
I believe it was called Freestyle wrestling.

Well it wasn't actually a statue. It was more of a wooden board with barbed wire and a table full of nails. Gross.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 10:39:00 am »

I had one barracks which resulted in sparring being interrupted three times every second. It was probably the large pond right next to the armor stand which was designated as the barracks what did it.

Don't worry, the sides of the pond had ramps.