Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Is there a way to tell what is slowing me down?  (Read 10723 times)

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
Re: Is there a way to tell what is slowing me down?
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 03:50:20 am »

Removing items the same way is asking for trouble. DF's code base is big, there's still plenty of stuff not understood and removing some random objects can lead to undefined behavior.
Are you saying autodump destroy is not as good as atomsmashing?
Thanks for dfhack btw
It actually sets a flag on those items that makes the game destroy them. Question is: does it have the same problems? It's certainly better than this though:
Code: [Select]
delete(itemPtr);;)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 12:48:33 pm »

It actually sets a flag on those items that makes the game destroy them. Question is: does it have the same problems? It's certainly better than this though:
Code: [Select]
delete(itemPtr);;)

Actually, that raises a good question: Do you know how that game-destruction code works, by any chance?

That could give me some better insight into how to test this thing.

I'm currently experimenting on whether or not atom-smashing actually properly cleans up after itself, but I'm thinking of trying trading objects away on caravans, magma-dumping, and obsidian-casting to see what effect those tricks have later.

Knowing what I can about how the game cleans up these pieces of data would help me stress-test possible weaknesses.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 02:30:08 pm »

I did recently run afoul of a glitched mod that created 150 bars of metal in a reaction, rather than one.  Before I knew it, I had over 15,000 bars cluttering a single workshop, and my frame rate had dropped sharply. 

Autodump destroy didn't work until the workshop was deconstructed, but my frame rate went back up after the destruction.  I don't know if it recovered entirely but it improved for certain.  Autodump destruction is definitely preferable to letting the items sit around indefinitely.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2012, 04:24:27 pm »

Butchering forgotten beasts seems to cause jittery FPS (as in it's fast, but not smooth). It's happened to me twice already, and my FPS became smooth again the very second I atomsmashed all the products that the FBs gave me (meat, leather, tallow etc)
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.
Pages: 1 2 [3]