Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dysfuntional Families  (Read 911 times)

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dysfuntional Families
« on: February 22, 2012, 11:55:12 am »

Is it possible that everyone in every town either has no family or is part of a dysfunctional one?

Every person I spoke to says that s/he has no family to speak of.

No "I have a brother in Dingsda and he is guardian" or the like (which we usually got, for example, in adventure mode 40d (not sure about 0.31 however))

Has anyone ever in 0.34 encountered someone who has a family family to speak of?

lionstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dysfuntional Families
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 11:59:33 am »

A lot of people I've spoke to have families, mainly parents/siblings. I notice peasants in the area you start in usually don't have families, but lords/ladys and other "important" people have lots of family members.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 12:20:51 pm »

So it might have something to do with whether someone has historical personalities in his family or not
(with other words, only people with historical personalities in their family talk about them, whereas normal peasants/shopkeepers etc. arenīt historical personalities (and usually also donīt have any in  their family) and so cannot say anything about their family)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 12:29:19 pm »

So it might have something to do with whether someone has historical personalities in his family or not
(with other words, only people with historical personalities in their family talk about them, whereas normal peasants/shopkeepers etc. arenīt historical personalities (and usually also donīt have any in  their family) and so cannot say anything about their family)

Yep, I think it works like that.
It's weird, though. They could say something like "My family is unimportant.." (lawl), because asking people about their families, only to get hundreds of "I have a cousin in X, he's a Y." would be a bit boring..
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 02:03:56 pm »

"I have a brother in Dingsda and he is guardian"
"And what do i get? im out fighting dragons!"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 02:21:27 pm »

If I recall correctly when you enter a hamlet or some towns a portion of the population is brought into existence right then and there. They have no family to speak of because that person just suddenly appeared fully formed right then and there. This was done because otherwise every single person in the world tells you about their aunt that married their uncle and died of starvation a month later. Also because otherwise large cities might only have 8 people in it.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.