Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do? (With my plump helmets)  (Read 1172 times)

MadKap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do? (With my plump helmets)
« on: November 08, 2007, 03:46:00 am »

Hi everyone,

I have a strange predicament. I have many thousand plump helmets and I just cannot stop myself from growing and collecting them. I think I'm at around 3000-4000 of the little guys and I can hardly turn out barrels fast enough to keep up with the growing of the helmets. I have 87 dwarves and a 20x10 farm. I've got two stills always brewing away, but is there anything useful I can do with these plump helmets? How long could my dwarves last on my supplies if I were to stop gathering the helmets?

One more question:

I’m also under siege, but my enemy cannot find my fortress. It’s about 20 goblins just hanging around part of the map. How can I entice them to my fortress? I set up a bunch of rock traps and I would like to see them put to good use.

Thanks a lot!

doomlichen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do? (With my plump helmets)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 04:35:00 am »

I had the exact same problem. Simple solution is just to start growing another crop, say one used for textiles. I went from 1300 helmets to 610 helmets after about a year.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 06:00:00 am »

Stop growing them. 4000 plump helmets will last 87 dwarves like... 4 years or something. just grow sweet pods to make yummy rum with instead.

As for the goblins.. the ai is broken. you can try and sent a peasant or something out there and try and get them to chase him in, but most likely they will kill the peasant and then go back to milling around. I've not found a good solution so I just turned invasions off to save on lag.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Dagon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 10:20:00 am »

With regards to the siege question... Is is possible to dig a tunnel underground from your fortress to the location of the goblins, lay traps along the way, then make a staircase up to them?
hen there was darkness...

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 10:26:00 am »

Totally possible. Legendary miners have maybe 1 and 1/2 seasons to dig there and then your military has another 1/2 season to get ready then you open up your tunnels! For GLORY!!!