Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Speed hit for Necromancers  (Read 2417 times)

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Speed hit for Necromancers
« on: February 21, 2012, 03:14:30 pm »

I spent my last game of adventure mode being a sneak god of death, before being melted by my zombie dragon's fire breath. About 2 weeks after I became a necromancer, I took a speed hit from my sweet 1700 speed to about 1200. Is this normal? Additionally, I could increase my speed from that, despite necromancers allegedly not gaining stats. Anyone else notice this?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Speed hit for Necromancers
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 09:55:23 pm »

Nope, no speed increase for you :C

Cbast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:00:24 pm »

I confirm. While I was fighting against a demon I gained like 100 speed. (The combat lasted more or less two hours).

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 10:45:47 pm »

This is probably a bug related to how vamps slow down when they drink blood.  And it might already be fixed for the next release.

Quote from: Toady 02/21/2012
•applied attribute change syndrome size modifiers properly

Cbast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 10:54:33 pm »

Well as a simple necromancer I didn't have any speed debuff. Although I'm still able to speed up, does that mean that I can still level up my attributes ?

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 08:32:40 am »

i didnt take a speed hit, if anything i gained 20 speed.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 10:12:23 am »

Keep in mind that anything you carry will reduce your speed by a set amount depending on what it is. I'm sure some of you already know that but some people don't and then we have weird bug reports.

I carry a bunch of stuff in a bag and drop it as soon as I get in a fight.

Also, the next version will include:

- 0005231: [Adventure Mode -- Eating/Drinking] Drinking blood as vampire causes permanent speed loss (Toady One) - resolved.

I confirm. While I was fighting against a demon I gained like 100 speed. (The combat lasted more or less two hours).

This could simply be from gaining agility during the 2 hour fight.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:14:26 am by Isher »

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 04:16:55 pm »

I believe increasing armor user will decrease the speed penalty from wearing armor?

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 04:22:13 pm »

Yeah, increasing armor user reduces the effective weight of armor while it's worn, so you're not weighed down by it so much. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 04:24:19 pm »

This could simply be from gaining agility during the 2 hour fight.

Based on my understanding you can't gain agility or any other physical attribute after you become a necromancer.  Only mental attributes can change.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 04:38:21 pm »

are you sure you weren't also a vampire? it tends to give you a permanent speed hit the first time you feed.

the speed hit for the vampire will be fixed in the next update.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Chinese Immigrants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 06:04:03 pm »

The tablet used to learn necromancy can weigh upwards of 150 urists. That's probably your problem.

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 03:26:44 pm »

No, you see, this was all after several in game days of necromancy, I checked my speed while carrying nothing to make sure that I was correct in this. My speed had dropped down to 1200 while I had nothing.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 03:33:48 pm »

like i said, necromancy doesnt damage your speed but feeding as a vampire WILL, it makes the game notice your muscle weight again and drops your speed for it 1200 is my average now too even with nothing, but i can get that up farther if i hop into some water, cus i got legendary+5 swimming.