Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windmill question  (Read 1691 times)

captain proof

• Bay Watcher
  • Baruk Khazâd!
    • View Profile
Windmill question
« on: February 26, 2012, 08:56:46 pm »

I'm trying to figure out how to power my Screw Pump via a windmill and linked up with gear assemblies. For some reason it's still not getting any power though, dunno what I am doing wrong.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry for making a Minecraft reference but I figured setting up gear assemblies was like setting up a redstone circuit.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: Windmill question
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 09:04:20 pm »

It should be something like this

X <- windmill
                       || <- Shaft
gear assembly >  *==== <- tube
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

captain proof

• Bay Watcher
  • Baruk Khazâd!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:12:30 pm »

So do I need to disassemble the gears below the center tile of the windmill and construct a vertical axle?
this is the way i have it set up right now.
X ____ S<-------(Screw Pump)
||______

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 09:17:02 pm »

So do I need to disassemble the gears below the center tile of the windmill and construct a vertical axle?
this is the way i have it set up right now.
X ____ S<-------(Screw Pump)
||______

I believe it should be built like this

X______S
||        ||
*=====*

You need 2 verticle axles, one horizontal, and two gear assemblies.... depending on the length of the horizontal axle, but it can be extended by using more gear assemblies like so: *========*========*
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 09:25:20 pm »

I can't tell what's going on with your tile set.

A windmill transmits power through its central tile.  It needs to be build directly on top of a vertical axle, screw pump, or gear.  You can't get power out of the side, so you need to build it on top of a gear and then run a horizontal axle sideways from the dear to the pump, if you really need to build the windmill somewhere other than directly on top of the pump.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 06:14:33 am »

I see 4 gear assemblies (and I guess there's a 5th under the cursor, for the 25 power consumed), 40 power is produced, so the windmill is definitely hooked up right. I'm going to guess that there is a floor between the gear assembly and the pump preventing the transmission of power, make sure the gear assembly is right on top of on of the pump tiles and that there is nothing in between.

captain proof

• Bay Watcher
  • Baruk Khazâd!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 12:46:22 am »

Correct lol, I ended up having to tear it down. I started pumping it and it backwashed an ass load of mud into my creek...now I have a stagnant creek. There needs to be a way to purify the water...keeping my dwarves boozed up is a bit of a task lol.