Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Key/Command to locate and center on Dwarf?  (Read 2539 times)

Tynan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Key/Command to locate and center on Dwarf?
« on: December 16, 2007, 11:04:00 am »

I started a new Fortress game, and after I arrived at the site, I could see my dwarves normally. I started looking around the map, and then I couldn't find them anymore! So I just designated mining area to start digging my entry way. Only one dwarf showed up to mine. Next I designate plant gathering orders, so a second dwarf came in from the left edge of view, that's 2 now. The 3rd dwarf was already Fishing at nearby pond. So I have 4 dwarfs idle somewhere in the vicinity and I *think* they are at a higher elevation than my current view. So the question is how do I change elevations up or down in the view, and/or how do I locate and center view on any single dwarf? Thanks

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Key/Command to locate and center on Dwarf?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 11:05:00 am »

If you havent done anything to the wagon then just hit the hotkey F1 and you should be at the wagon and the dwarves should be too.

Tynan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 11:15:00 am »

Okay, I got back to my wagon with the rest of the dwarves. But now I can't seem to find my other group of 3 that are working/mining. The regional map view (on the right side) seemed to jump quite a distance to get back to the main wagon. Very odd. I have decided to abandon this fortress as it was just starting out anyway and start over. Next time I won't jump around the map so much...

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 11:15:00 am »

Hit F1 and your view will centre on the cart. Or hit , use the arrows to scroll down until you've found the dwarf you're looking for and hit [c].
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Moocow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 12:28:00 pm »

To change elevations press the <and> keys (shift + , and .).
Death solves all problems - no dwarf, no problem.
- Joseph Stalin

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 10:24:00 pm »

Shift-5 and Ctrl-5 work as well (on the numpad, not sure about the one above the letters).
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside