Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is enemy AI moddable?  (Read 2528 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Is enemy AI moddable?
« on: February 18, 2012, 01:41:10 pm »

I'm a hardcore fan of messing around with AI for no reason other than to make it smarter than the person playing against it.

Anyway, my question: Is the AI for enemies in DF moddable? Or is that all hard-coded in?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Re: Is enemy AI moddable?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 01:44:00 pm »

I'm a hardcore fan of messing around with AI for no reason other than to make it smarter than the person playing against it.

Anyway, my question: Is the AI for enemies in DF moddable? Or is that all hard-coded in?
You can influence creature behavior with tags, but thats about it.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 02:20:00 pm »

Pretty much. Enemies will always do their main going in the way they do. However, they can flee faster, or they can get enraged and attack... they might actively pick fights, they might stay away from them, they might never retreat.

Something like that.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 02:27:06 pm »

Fun tags to add to goblins for more challenge, i'm not 100% sure what all of these do, but adding them can't make goblins any weaker :-

[TRAPAVOID] - will not be caught by cage or weapon trap, you'll need to be more imaginative.
[AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE] won't fight with local wildlife - so might focus on attacking your dwarves more.
[BUILDINGDESTROYER:1] or [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2] so goblins can smash their way in.
[LOCKPICKER] - supposedly lets the creatures open forbidden doors in fortress mode
[MEANDERER] - random movement additions, might (possibly) make the goblins stand around motionless, less often.
[MISCHIEVIOUS] - goblins will pull levers to try and screw you, they spawn hidden and start with ambusher ranks.
[NATURAL_SKILL] - goblins can be made to inherently have a minimum skill level in anything, so make them innately better fighters, kickers, biters, dodgers etc.
[PRONE_TO_RAGE] - might make them a bit scarier.
[TRANCES] - make goblins have martial trances.

I'm not sure what you can add to the entity_default.txt to make them more effective, maybe someone else will be able to advise.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 03:39:38 pm »

Martial trances are scary. I was a weak dwarf adventurer and I bisected 4 bogeymen at the waist with an axe when I entered a martial trance.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 03:40:47 pm »

Hmmm... It's not quite AI, but it's pretty cool stuff, I guess. I was hoping to make them seem a lot more intelligent. :P Thanks for the help, though. :)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 07:01:15 pm »

You guys forgot about the AMBUSHER, SIEGER, SKULKING tags in the entity file. This changes the AI. First sents invisible ambushes, second camps for a few months outside your fort and even starts campfires, skulking tries to steal your stuff and only sieges after they stole 3 items
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 12:15:26 pm »

Thx Meph, though i didn't "forget", read the last sentence i wrote in my post.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 12:22:37 pm »

SKULKING im not sure but it doesn't make them steal, that's [ITEM_THEIF]

As far as I know SKULKING only changes the messages you get 'Skulking Filth!" and the like. It probally does more, but Im not too sure.

It probally goes hand in hand with the [ITEM_THEIF] like meph said, steals 3 items then sieges. Wonder if it has the same effect with [BABYSNATCHER]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 02:00:54 pm »

I think that skulking civs live in caves.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 03:02:29 pm »

I think that skulking civs live in caves.
No that would be [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CAVE]

So does really SKULKING just change how ambushes and sieges pop up by the civ?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 03:23:16 pm »

Skulking changes the siege behavior. The entity will ignore other triggers (wealth, trade and population) and only siege/ambush after 3 thefts have been succesful.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::