Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LordlyTowers: Children of the Deep (Community Fort)  (Read 1245 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
LordlyTowers: Children of the Deep (Community Fort)
« on: October 14, 2012, 08:07:34 pm »

LordlyTowers: Children of the Deep

It's said there's a place in the clouds wherea cold mug, a warm bed, and a hot meal waits for every dwarf who comes. Where each man has to his satisfaction food prepared by master chefs, ale wine or mead brewed by men who had made the betterment of the trade their lifes work, and clothes hand stitched from the finest fabrics that have ever touched dwarven skin.

One needn't die to go there, just board a vship bound south and follow the point of golden light on the horizon. LordlyTowers, the Mountainhomes. It's great glimmering tower stretching high enough to mine the stars acts as a guiding light for all dwarven kind. Unmolested by raiders, thieves, and hardship LordlyTowers  is the paradise of dwarves. Built into the side of a mountain of pure, marble the Brass Tower is the impregnable citadel from which the Kingdom is ruled and today they have their King.

Edoth Rockedside walked arm in arm with his wife and flanked by his personal guard down the Great Brass Road. The group had seen the Brass Spire on the horizon two days in advanced but only now that they stood at it's precipice was it's majesty known. It shimmered in the bright sunlight forcing the King to shield his eyes from it's glory. He looked with a mixture of admiration and disdain at the Fortress. To his left and right were neatly hidden traps for catching game and as they drew nearer the path was patrolled by vigilant hounds waiting for any sign of trouble to unleash their terrible jaws. The towering doors were before them now. On their left and right two Collossal Elephants guarded the entrance from all who would intrude, in front of them four brass golems defending the sally port from anyone skilled enough to evade the previous lines of defense and stupid enough to try. In front of them stood Kilrud Paintedvoice, the mayor and founder of LordlyTowers.

The pudgy, jovial founder anxiously bowed and motioned for the King to enter. His Lordship was directed to partake of the fine food and fine drink to enjoy the sculpture garden or the view from the brass spire but none held his interest for long. He took note of the children laughing and playing with expensive toys, grown spoiled by a life lived solely off the fat of the land.

It could not stand.

The announcement was met with outrage. It took considerable effort but a few of the enormous brass tables were flipped in anger and shouts tore through the air of the crowded dining hall. Parents clutched their children with tears in their eyes, they wouldn't, couldn't let their children go. The King was adamant however that for the children to be citizens they must first toil as their ancestors had, they were to go to the caverns, to build their own fortress and work for their sustenance.

The Mayor twirled his beard and heard the cries, he had built the settlement from the ground up and he could not permit it's children to suffer. He spoke with the king and after hours of negotiations the terms were set. The children would make the journey to the caverns and carve out a fortress of their own, but when they were grown enough to wield mail and sword they would ascend the Brass Staircase and return to the tower to enjoy the riches of the fortress proper. But this was not the only success that Kilrud had, the children would not go alone. One adult would make the descent with them and in a year he would return with another taking his place.

The Children
Dwarven naming conventions make it confusing who's related to who so for my purposes each dwarf is a member of his fathers “Clan” which will be denoted by the fathers surname.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:12:14 pm by Broseph Stalin »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: LordlyTowers: Children of the Deep (Community Fort)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 11:38:57 pm »

ptw

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: LordlyTowers: Children of the Deep (Community Fort)
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 06:28:54 pm »

The grown of Lordlytowers had grown accustomed to their luxurious tower and decadent meals, could even the strongest of the fortress survive the caverns? Torn between their desire to help and their desire to save themselves the parents of Murderfarmed refused to step forward save Sigun Wargod. The Militia Commander, arms like tree trunks and a voice like a brass bell every foe he'd ever fought had the honor of watching his masterful sword technique before he hacked them to bits. Sigun Wargod, Father of Ashtan, Os and Medtob Wargod. He bid his wife and son ,too young to make the descent, Medtob farewell and disappeared into the caverns.

Hematite 16th 204

Journal of Sigun Wargod

God'sblood I will murder the stupid bastard who decided to drop our food, writing charcoal, paper, along with a razor sharp steel axe and pick! There's a short brass road leading through a small brass enclosure and terminating at a large brass square. Apparently the center of the square is the designated drop point for our supplies. 94 meals of sausage ragout, the aformentioned writing materials and the tools are all we've been allotted. I am a man of limited skills but I'll have to aid the children in procuring food if we're to survive. Setting up a still is beyond my ken but I suppose water won't kill us. I've informed the children that I am only there to do as they say, to help them build their fortress and nothing else. It took some needling but I got them to act a bit more autonomously. Their first order was for me to explore the cavern and track down any cavern monsters that may be nearby.
18 Hematiet 204

Diery of Etur Hegemon

Sigun told us that we should all write down stuff on paper when it happens. I got to take my splint off today. I can walk without a crutch and everything I am so happy. Sigun finished looking for monsters. He said there weren't any but some of the cavern is blocked off. My brothe Rovod asked him to dig into the other part of the caverns but he had to take off his armor and sword. He says it isn't very safe to mine with armor on. Sakzul was playing with the sword but I promised not to tell.