Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Renaming squads?  (Read 2713 times)

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Renaming squads?
« on: December 08, 2009, 02:01:32 pm »

I did a search on this and found nothing, and feel a bit silly for asking because I'm pretty sure I found this in-game pretty early on. Either way, the question is, is it possible to rename military squads?

For example, I'd like to rename my crossbow squad "Bow corps" to better keep track of them.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Renaming squads?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 02:19:59 pm »

Nope. Each dwarf has an associated squad name, and the name associated with the leader of the squad is the name used for the squad as a whole. If you want to keep track of your units better, the best I can offer is to give the units nicknames or custom professions.

Incidentally, while squads save you a bit of tedium in placing dwarves, you have much less control over where the dwarves go and what they do on their time off. I highly recommend putting each dwarf into his/her own squad instead.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 04:25:29 pm »

Nope. Each dwarf has an associated squad name, and the name associated with the leader of the squad is the name used for the squad as a whole. If you want to keep track of your units better, the best I can offer is to give the units nicknames or custom professions.
Mhm. I'm giving my marksdwarf squad people the custom profession name "Bow Corps".
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 05:44:31 pm »

Incidentally, while squads save you a bit of tedium in placing dwarves, you have much less control over where the dwarves go and what they do on their time off.

And by this, you mean "if the leader decides to get something to eat, drink, or take a nap, the entire squad will follow, even if it means they're marching off of the battlefield in the middle of a siege".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 09:38:28 pm »

Incidentally, while squads save you a bit of tedium in placing dwarves, you have much less control over where the dwarves go and what they do on their time off.

And by this, you mean "if the leader decides to get something to eat, drink, or take a nap, the entire squad will follow, even if it means they're marching off of the battlefield in the middle of a siege".

A problem easily solved by rotating squad leaders whenever they bugger off from duty.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 03:38:40 pm »

Necro magic on dead topic.

Has anyone found a method of editing files for renaming squads.
I just want the squads to match the name of their weapon... and rerolling a hundred times is painful.

If we can rename units we should be allowed to rename squads instead of leaning on a random generator.

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 04:19:26 pm »

Right now there is no way to rename the randomly generated squad names in Dwarf Fortress itself but there is some promising research going on in the Dwarf Therapist thread which may eventually lead to this being possible.

Here’s the juicy bit:

Did you just tap into the military interface?  If we used this, could we make a Therapist-Like tool for organizing squads?
I hesitated for a while and then overchecked everything. Yes. This is it. The memory block where dwarf-squad assingments are stored. I even managed to modify one of my squads to consist of 3 copies of one dwarf. However, are you sure that it is a new information? I was pretty sure that it is just a block(vector_squad) already described and used in DT.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 04:56:50 pm »

Right now there is no way to rename the randomly generated squad names in Dwarf Fortress itself but there is some promising research going on in the Dwarf Therapist thread which may eventually lead to this being possible.

Actually, there's already a DFHack "rename" plugin which works on military squads (assigns nicknames rather than editing the Dwarven names), hotkeys (so you can give them longer names), and creatures (which actually updates the unit's Soul and their Historical Figure entry so that their nickname doesn't disappear after combat like it does when you use Therapist).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.