Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A minor question  (Read 765 times)

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A minor question
« on: February 18, 2012, 12:41:20 am »

I have a small question. I am trying to access some of the werebeast interactions, and from what I understand they are generated upon world creation and can be found inside the world's save file. However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to access the uncompressed file. Anybody have any pointers?

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
Re: A minor question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 02:10:57 am »

I'm using notepad++ and after opening highlighting the good stuff and going to edit > paste special > copy binary, then opening a new doc and edit > paste special > paste binary.

Then in the new document I go to search > replace (check search mode extended characters) and replace \0 with \n.

So far I've found new materials and interactions as well as 22 variations of necromancer.

I don't understand what the difference is for so many vampires they all seem alike.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 02:15:45 am by Courtesy Arloban »
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 02:38:04 am »

When opening the world DAT file in notepad, all I seem to be getting is a bunch of random characters. And I'm not seeing a paste special option.
Nevermind, I was using regular notepad instead of notepad++.
Edit: I still can't get the data to show up as anything other than random junk.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 03:05:55 am by LostCosmonaut »

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 02:42:35 am »

The werebeast curse in the interaction example folder is exactly the same that's made at world gen. There's no difference between any individual werebeasts yet.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 02:59:28 am »

The werebeast curse in the interaction example folder is exactly the same that's made at world gen. There's no difference between any individual werebeasts yet.
This is false.
They are generated as werepanthers, werelizards, etc, with a wide variety of bodies, sizes, and all sorts of things.
(I think they're bugged until .02 and just transform into toads right now, though)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 03:06:03 am »

The specifics about their transformation aren't random yet. I should have said "individual were-curses," though. Sorry for the confusion.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 04:09:51 am »

Okay, I am an idiot, I just remembered that you can set your saves to be uncompressed in the init files. Doing so now.