Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ok, guys, one question about vamps.  (Read 2550 times)

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ok, guys, one question about vamps.
« on: February 17, 2012, 09:38:40 am »

I recall a thread of someone complaining about zombies, and our kind hearted members reaction near to "crybaby, don't embark there if'n ya don't like em"

Is there any place u can embark and not get vampires? One of them pristine places of joy with unicorns perhaps?

On a side tangent, shouldn't there be evil biomes where to graduate into severe nastiness, like a easy /medium/hard evil biome?

Some of the changes in this version really can affect getting a fortress started at all (vamps causing tantrum spiral) if things stay like that, could make it even harder for new players to feel any amount of success and keep playing.

Does that make sense? I been drivin all night and perusing that. I could be wrong.

But for those who skipped to the end, can u embark anywhere and not havr to fear vampires?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ok, guys, one question about vamps.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 11:05:59 am »

As far as I can tell, vampires can get to you wherever you are.  However, they do respect burrows.  Burrow them under an atomsmasher and rid your fort of them before they get a chance to kill. Just look for any dwarves with who have been members of way too many civs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 11:07:43 am »

n a side tangent, shouldn't there be evil biomes where to graduate into severe nastiness, like a easy /medium/hard evil biome?

They already exist. See haunted terrifying and some other biome I've forgotten? Different scales of evil right there. Same with savagery and mirthfulness.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 07:39:25 pm »

As far as I can tell, vampires can get to you wherever you are.  However, they do respect burrows.  Burrow them under an atomsmasher and rid your fort of them before they get a chance to kill. Just look for any dwarves with who have been members of way too many civs.

yeah I been reading about em I just had not heard any mention of that, one way or the other, I have ideas, muahahaha...

n a side tangent, shouldn't there be evil biomes where to graduate into severe nastiness, like a easy /medium/hard evil biome?

They already exist. See haunted terrifying and some other biome I've forgotten? Different scales of evil right there. Same with savagery and mirthfulness.

yes but I pretty much gather from reading of the stories they are pretty much just as big a nightmare as the next

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 07:48:03 pm »

Yeah, I think evil savagery just effects the sort of creatures that spawn there.

Sinister will have relatively benign evil things, like zombie hoary marmots, while terrifying will have zombie giant jaguars and the sort.

Doesn't effect poisonous sky-poop, zombie mists, or anything else, it's random across any evil biome, although I think it probably should correlate.

Vampires come with migrants and they'll show up any time. Just have to find a way to deal with them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 09:32:51 pm »

Considering the fact that the difficulty ramp of DF is beneath a mountain, did you really expect there to be a standard gradient for difficulty in evil biomes? :P

Zekka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 10:33:45 pm »

It, to my knowledge, cannot be accomplished through embark location, but you can set the ''Number of Vampire Curse Types" (VAMPIRE_NUMBER) parameter to zero under 'Design New World with Advanced Parameters', which should cause the world not to contain vampires (if file changes.txt is accurate). The downside is that this requires you to create a new world and is not limited to a specific region.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 10:53:25 pm »

To b clear, i don't want to remove them for myself.  I am moreconcerned it may add unnecessay added difficulty to those simply trying to get the basics mastered.

Will they come if invasions are off? Not sure if i hsve seen tthat mentioned.

Zekka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 11:11:43 pm »

Not having tested this, I doubt toggling invasions will have any effect considering that vampires are treated as migrants, not as invaders.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:18:27 pm by Zekka »

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 11:42:22 pm »

Not having tested this, I doubt toggling invasions will have any effect considering that vampires are treated as migrants, not as invaders.
Valid point

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 11:44:41 pm »

I think vampire detection is now one of the basics, just like sieges, thieves, or ambushes it's something you have to deal with in the game. Like sieges, thieves, and ambushes there really should be an option to turn them off though.

Zekka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 11:52:55 pm »

Agreed on that point, because, even though such an option exists, it's buried in the advanced world generation parameters unlike the others.

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I had an army of cats once. guess what happened?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 12:28:33 am »

TBH this can pretty much all be solved using the Lazy Newb Pack, because I am sure once it is fully updated it will add those options in or have pregened worlds for them to learn on. So I really don't see a point in worrying about it.
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 01:07:41 am »

I've embarked in Wilderness, and am nearing my second summer at the location.  On my second migrant wave I found the perfect Chief Medical Dwarf.  I noticed some oddness, but assigned him to the position anyway.  I'm curious to see what is going to happen with a vampire as my main doctor when the goblins finally arrive.  The kobolds are already getting brave, so I expect the gobbos to arrive soon.

One thing I've noticed is that my Chief Medical Vampire hasn't killed anyone yet, as all of my dwarves are still present and accounted for.  I had a brief self imposed scare when i saw 10 listed after Missing/Dead, until I realized my fisher dwarves were murdering the carp and they were on the list (along with my horse and mule butched for food during winter, and a bone carving possession in early spring).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"