Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you feed your companions in adventure mode?  (Read 6277 times)

Felgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you feed your companions in adventure mode?
« on: February 18, 2012, 12:00:34 am »

Wiki is down, and I don’t see any hotkey listed under the ? menu. I’ve got tons of prepared food in my inventory, but none of my companions will eat it on their own. I tried dropping it on the ground, but they didn’t pick it up. Same question goes for water, with just 3 water allowed in my waterskin, my party of four is going to get thirsty if we don’t stay right next to a river (assuming I can get them to drink somehow).

Personally I think the companions should take care of feeding and drinking for themselves. If the party has food and water available, they should simply use it when needed. I also think they should all have their own waterskins available upon hire.

Also companions can’t swim… I tried swimming across a small river to see if they’d drink while in the water, and they all drowned. Two of them said they had multiple years adventuring (one 9 the other 40), so you’d think they’d be decent swimmers by now. Had to ctrl-alt-del out to keep from saving their fate.

joeymax23

• Bay Watcher
  • How can you stop hue/When hue is already hue?!
    • View Profile
    • Land of Knowledge and Answers
Re: How do you feed your companions in adventure mode?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 12:31:30 am »

well they sucked water into their lungs.... water entered their system! i guess they drank. oh and 9 years ago was in the age of the 3d armok in which water was unheard of thus no swim dwarves!
When we are born, we cry
When we die, we understand why.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 12:35:30 am »

To be fair, your follower's are just using you. "Tonight we dine with Armok!" and all that rot.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 01:17:52 am »

I do not believe you can get them to eat/drink and they will eventually die.
Interestingly, even vampire companions seem unable to feed on sleeping people. This is a bummer, as my new buddy is this totally badass elf spearmaster who was the very first vampire ever cursed and is as old as time.

You may try editing the raws to give humans (or whatever) NO_EAT/NO_DRINK?

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 02:14:12 am »

I generally feed my companions to whatever enemy I'm facing at the moment.  Either way they end up dead pretty quickly in any sort of melee scrum.  They also do a nice job of distracting the really tough enemies long enough for me to flank and then goto town on them!

Dwarves seem to be about the only adventurers worth taking on since they get martial trance which helps them when they inevitably walk into an fight against multiple opponents.

Alamander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 04:22:27 am »

I think it was a bug that they get hungry at all. Toady's update says he fixed it now.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 05:11:33 am »

I  have no real idea how one would do that, but im not seeing any effects.
I got a ubar-badass pikeman that still survived plenty of ambushes.
hes hungry, thirsty and drowsy.
but i dont care, hes epic.
(might have to check if hes a vampire :o)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.