Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What counts as sand?  (Read 1260 times)

mwoody450

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What counts as sand?
« on: November 06, 2007, 06:24:00 pm »

I was unhappy to discover that my fortress, built purposefully on a loamy sand area, had no source of sand for glass production (particularly since, the liason having gone mad and died despite my representative having "no job" for his entire visit, I have no anvil).  So that I don't do this again, what technically qualifies as sand in game?  Is it only "sand" and "*color* sand?"

According to Wikipedia, loamy sand is pretty darn close to sand, too...

Gislamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What counts as sand?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 07:36:00 pm »

I know white sand counts. Not sure about others. I beleive there is red and black sand as well.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 08:17:00 pm »

It's got to be "sand", not "loamy sand".  I've used red sand to make green glass, so that does the trick; no doubt any *color* sand is OK.  Be sure you use the "i" key to designate a zone for sand pickup. I think my dwarves pick it up off the ground, so it might be the case that you have to mine out a sand wall and leave behind a sand floor.  Not sure.  When selecting the zone, be sure that part of it include walkable tiles.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 08:35:00 pm »

It is only the different colors of sand that act as sand.

You can read the matgloss_stone_soil raw file and see which ones have the [soilsand] flag. You could even edit them to make other soil types act as sand, but then they will appear like sand as well (wavy lines).

I made clay act as sand temporarily in my fort just to satisfy a moody dwarf  :D

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link