Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Training the military  (Read 1118 times)

Training the military
« on: November 06, 2007, 04:04:00 pm »

I was just wandering if there was any way to train you military. I heard something about "when there off duty they train" but how do you get them off duty.

Basicly I want it so that I can train my dwarfs before any seiges occur, or before the wildlife gets a little to wild.

warfs are fearless...unless they are interupted by a deer.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
Re: Training the military
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 04:17:00 pm »

[mvt] to change duty status. Dwarves will spar if there is a barraks with some space.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Akael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 04:29:00 pm »

You should armor them before allowing them to spar in a barracks, as they tend to badly injure each other on occasion.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 06:29:00 pm »

Though apparently mortal wounds may not faze them. One of my Wrestlers has a pierced(red) right lung, but he walks around just fine, not sparring or otherwise being useful along with the rest of my military despite the barracks upstairs.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Mylar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 04:17:00 pm »

This is from my experiances with the previous version:

I usually set them to weaponless plate wearing fortress guards for a few years. Fortress guards spend much of their time sparring. Once their wrestling and armor usage is decent they get assigned a weapon (usually a crossbow for me) and spend another year or two training the weapon before they get pulled out of the guard and upgraded to military.

Everyone complains about the guard and assigns cripples to it, I use it as boot camp.