Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Reconquista  (Read 809 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
The Reconquista
« on: April 09, 2020, 01:15:09 pm »

Hundreds of green-skinned corpses lie in the refuse pit, being mulched to an unrecognizable mass of gore by an excellently crafted cobalt bridge. One by one, the dark pits send their entire populace against the walls of the great fortress Glowtombs. Weapons wielded by previous attackers are repurposed into traps that will kill more of their kin. The fortress holds, for now. The defenders are becoming crippled. There's a loss of a master every other season. The doctors struggle to keep up with the demand, and the miners struggle to find more iron in the caves to outfit the foreign mercenaries that have thrown in their lot with the dwarves.

This fortress was originally created to serve as a grand mausoleum in which the King would finally rest, his corpse and spirit on the front lines against the forces of darkness to the south, acting as a ward and a warning to all evil that wished to cross him. It was a lofty goal that would never be met. The goblins invaded and occupied the mountainhomes and many hillocks in a grand campaign led by their demon overlord. In the first year of the fortress' growth, all that supported it fell. Now Glowtombs remains the last bastion of hope for the good people of this world against the goblins. The humans to the east hold their own for now, but their villages are slowly being overtaken. The elves have fallen long before, with only a few isolated retreats remaining in their hands. A handful of hillocks have been formed around Glowtombs, populated mostly by escaped refugees of the mountainhomes.

The king and queen are dead, and their descendants are in hiding among the vulnerable hillocks yet to be overtaken by the legions of filth. The Baron of Glowtombs knows what he must do. The fortress must serve its original purpose. And to do that, they'll have to recover the bodies.

Now a question, how much of a military should I have before trying to reconquer the mountainhomes? Their population is at least 1000+ still, even after the battle killed hundreds of dwarves. I've been sending my crippled military veterans to conquer newly-emptied dark pits to some effect, but I still have no hope of outlasting the goblins with their hundreds of pits, and their dark towers each having 10k+ goblins.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Reconquista
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 04:24:44 pm »

In init\d_init.txt you can set new invasion force.
[INVASION_SOLDIER_CAP:120]
[INVASION_MONSTER_CAP:40]
Expect some measurable lag though on larger force arrival.
Being able to dispose larger quantities enemies can turn tide.
Just make sure there are no gobbos fleeing, as they get experience this way. No gobbos should survive the siege.

My solution is bridge at start. Then long and wide under ground hall to contain them all nicely. Then narrow cage/trap hall alike this:
Code: [Select]
xxxxxxx
++x+++x
xTxTxTx
xTxTxTx
xTxTxTx
xTxTxTx
xTxTxTx
xTxTxTx
xTxTxTx
xTxTxTx
xTxTxTx
xTxTxTx
x+++x++
xxoxxxo

x-wall
+-floor
T-trap (cages are very nice for goblinite, if your mass pit works ok)
o-quick access bridge for engineers and haulers to clear, clean and reset traps.
You can be viciously efficient in cleaning invasions and receiving huge pile of goblinite.
Keep your engineering "squad" with 10 mechanics. Normal or strong, never weak. For fast skilling engineers have to be both intelligent and creative. Intuition and memory alike medics should be additional bonus attributes, if you want them turned into scholars later on. There are few books they can write for your library. :)
If you find perfect engineer but weak, save him for medic. :D
Sometimes it pays off to ignore the skills and pay attention to the right attributes.

The only issue I find, that my Dwarves can be picking cloths up and wear it. Foreign clothing, that I do not desire in my fortress and which can not be produced locally. So sorting through goblinite can be tedious at times.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 04:36:19 pm by Sarmatian123 »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The Reconquista
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 06:10:38 am »

Presuming you conquer and don't raze enemy sites to the ground, your civilisation will be acquiring a goblin population of its own to use in the wars to come. So that just leaves the defence of your Fortress, which can be turned over to the ingenious mechanisms of Dwarven character in order to conserve dwarfpower & lives. A simple drowning trap or freeze trap is a fairly safe way to deter goblin sieges whilst you build up the capabilities of the new mountainhome