Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Understanding Populations (or How To Wipe a Civ?)  (Read 823 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Understanding Populations (or How To Wipe a Civ?)
« on: February 17, 2012, 12:39:59 am »

Sup guys.

I've been trying to wipe a small goblin city (changed the raws) and human city.
The numbers I got came from LegendsViewer, saving/backup/xml dump etc.

Initially, there were  around 45 goblins in the goblin city. I killed almost 30, and used Legends Viewer to check the population count: it was now 36.

On the human town, it showed 146. Then I killed more than 30 folks and it now shows 120, which seems more or less right (since some of them could be genned peasants).

My questions are:
1) do population counts work?
2) Is it (finally) possible to wipeout a whole town, or the game will keep spawning new peasants?
3) Any idea on how to prevent the spawn of generic peasants?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:54:27 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Understanding Populations (or How To Wipe a Civ?)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 12:07:56 pm »

Tried killing them all?

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 12:50:25 pm »

From what I understand, the population of the city is never all at once present in-game at any given time, as a CPU-sparing feature.

There are also scouts and guards roaming outside the actual boundaries of the town that count toward population.

Also, a particularly brutal assault on the town will cause migrant groups to form in an attempt to get the hell out of dodge. These migrant groups may return later.

All of these properties will require repeat visits to fully eliminate everyone.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 02:37:43 pm »

From what I understand, the population of the city is never all at once present in-game at any given time, as a CPU-sparing feature.

There are also scouts and guards roaming outside the actual boundaries of the town that count toward population.

Also, a particularly brutal assault on the town will cause migrant groups to form in an attempt to get the hell out of dodge. These migrant groups may return later.

All of these properties will require repeat visits to fully eliminate everyone.

Interesting. I even messed with the entity raws to make a world with low pop and it's being hard to kill everyone. Even if it shows 113 total humans in the XML, I already killed 150+ and they keep respawning.
I think maybe it was because I've set the maximum pop cap of races to 500, so maybe if I kill 500 I'll start getting some results.

Otherwise, it's impossible to wipe out a town and I'll get sad.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.