Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Finally found the vampire  (Read 6390 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Finally found the vampire
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 12:23:58 pm »

Vampires are stronger, faster, and flat out more durable.

Not if you train your Dwarves. Vampire didn't stand a chance against the very same zombie ostriches my hammerdwarf smashed. Did I mention all of my Dwarves are virtually unbreakable, incredibly strong and never tire? Vampires can't improve their attributes.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 12:24:40 pm »

Vampires are stronger, faster, and flat out more durable.  Hopefully they are more intelligent as well, plus they dont require booze.   With time, you could get a core group (or coven, is it called) running your fort in its entirety.  migrant waves would cease to be a problem.

Their attributes, while higher than average, are locked at creation.  Thus, regular dwarves can surpass them with enough time and training.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 12:36:11 pm »

Basically, that's why you isolate a single vampire until such a time arises where you have a fortress of uber dwarves. Then, you unleash the undead being and have him bleed out in the water source. Once every super dwarf contracts vampirism, you don't even need to have a food industry anymore.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 12:49:27 pm »

Not if you train your Dwarves. Vampire didn't stand a chance against the very same zombie ostriches my hammerdwarf smashed. Did I mention all of my Dwarves are virtually unbreakable, incredibly strong and never tire? Vampires can't improve their attributes.

All your dwarves have had their eyes put out, and probably have had their fat melted off as well.  Not to mention a childhood spent fighting off turkeys for survival. I'm not sure that counts...  :-\

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 12:57:28 pm »

wait untill they show hunger thirst or being sleepy. if they show these then open the exit and allow them into the rest of the fortress. if they do not and are vampires open a hatch below them and drop them into a pit...
inb4 Toady makes it so vampires can fake hunger, thirst, and drowsiness.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 01:19:03 pm »

All your dwarves have had their eyes put out, and probably have had their fat melted off as well.  Not to mention a childhood spent fighting off turkeys for survival. I'm not sure that counts...  :-\

You can't do that with vampires :D

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 01:44:05 pm »

I abandoned the fort inhabited by 4 vampires, and started a new one.

After a couple waves of migrants, one of the vampires from my original fort showed up. I knew because it remembered his profession name "!VAMPIRE!" when I went to go assign him his new one.

I wasn't quite sure of the implications of "migrants being historical entities" really meant. It means a vampire plague that destroys one of your forts can spread to any subsequent forts you make!

Time to eliminate him...

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 01:53:25 pm »

Know what'd be groovy?
Phantom of the Opera vampires. Like so:

Above entrance:

\x|

Where x is a hatch, \ is a locked door and | is a wall.
Station the vampire (in your military, of course!) on the x, lock door, un-military vampire. The vampire should then be locked in the room, with no contact with others. Vampires do not eat, sleep or drink, so he/she'll be alright.
Underneath this is your entrance corridor:

a a a a a a a a a
a a a q a a a a a
a a a a a a a a a

Where a is empty floor and q is the hatch on the above layer, leading to vampire.

Upon the event of a siege, release the hatch so the vampire lands on top of the invaders. Watch havoc ensue, as vampires do not feel pain. If the vampire survives and kills the invaders, then he/she shall be fully integrated into society and alowed to drink the blood of whomever it wants.
If not...problem solved.
Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 01:56:58 pm »

I had a body found fully drained of blood just recently.

Naturally, it was the fault of the Goblin Thief who'd broken into the fort just recently. >.>
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 04:09:06 pm »

I wonder if freshly killed dwarves could slake them if it was from a goblin knife to the head...
Pages: 1 [2]