Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Missing Dwarf Question  (Read 866 times)

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Missing Dwarf Question
« on: February 17, 2012, 01:37:39 pm »

I haven't gotten a lot of time in fortress mode, but I've heard that dwarves now go 'missing' instead of every dwarf feeling their beard-essence fade away. A couple questions.

1. Are all dwarves that go missing dead? Or can a dwarf be locked up for x amount of months with no contact and deemed missing?
2. Can you still make slabs of said dwarf?
3. If you can't, how do you 'discover' a dwarf who has been completely vaporized through an 'accident'?
4. Do ghosts of missing dwarves still appear? And if a dwarf sees this ghost, will the dead dwarf be confirmed dead?

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Dwarf Question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 02:37:22 pm »

Can't answer most of these, since I haven't had a dorf actually die yet in this version, but I do know that stuff can be listed as missing/deceased without you ever finding it, like when a mysterious Forgotten Beast killed 4 Cave Swallow Men then died entirely off-screen. They all showed up on my list, but I had never even gotten a "the forgotton beast xxx has come!" message. Or seen Cave Swallow men. Or even explored the caverns outside of the initial breach, really.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 02:42:03 pm »

I can answer the las one.

You still get haunted by ghosts.  I had a restless haunt of "Methusela" trade liason, who promptly dies of old age upon arrival. I had to build a coffin for him.

In the case of my recent savescum, a planter and a hunter took a molten lava facial after being konked in the head by magmacrabs. They were reported missing, and I was able to create coffins for them.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 02:55:45 pm »

Also, my miner just got kicked in the skull by... an undead elf hand... and, even though the combat report states that he clearly took lethal, brain-hurt damage, it lists him as "missing", so I savescummed to put traps around my refuse pile and find that frigging necromancer what's hiding somewhere.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 03:11:53 pm »

It seems that if your dwarf dies digging into a volcano their body appears at the top of said volcano. I know this because my jeweler managed to set himself on fire while both discovering and retrieving the corpse.

Also you can get ghosts without discovering the body, although when it is buried it seemed to say the ghost was buried there, which is a bit weird.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 03:55:55 pm »

When the ghost of a Dwarf shows up, they're no longer listed as missing.