Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carp 2.0  (Read 899 times)

Daithos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Carp 2.0
« on: February 17, 2012, 10:41:49 am »

So I was strolling through the woods, minding my own business when I noticed my waterskin was empty. Luckily for me there was a river a few steps away. I go to the river, fill up my waterskin, take a drink, and continue on my way along the river. Suddenly a SEA LAMPREY of all things jumps out of the water, bites my ear, and drags me into the river! I manage to mortally wound the bastard, but not before the sonofabitch drowns me.

I remember the horror stories of ferocious carp in days long gone by, being fortunate enough to never encounter their ilk. Now though, now I know of the horrors that wait within the depths.

Those fucking fish are teaching each other. >:(

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Carp 2.0
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 11:07:00 am »

It's honestly all species of fish that are dangerous for this very reason. Most people don't look in the water for fish that may have backed their dumb asses into a wall and now feel cornered, triggering them to attack you seemingly spontaneously. Alligators and crocodiles also lurk in the depths and will simply attack on sight, and are actually pretty tough.

40d was much, much worse though. Creatures, especially fish, seemed to feel cornered much more easily and would stop at nothing to murder anyone that came near the water's edge. I once lost 7-9 dwarves in quick succession due to two carp in an enormous river with plenty of room to flee, because the dwarves pathed between that river and a tiny pond, and dodged into one of those two water sources when the fish attacked. Needless to say, I immediately began a dwarven swimming institution to make sure absolutely everyone could swim, and marksdwarves to pick off the fish at range.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rawb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Carp 2.0
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 11:33:00 am »

I've watched a Kea fly over a stream only to have a Carp jump up and rip it's leg off. He bled to death on the banks.